1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with acceleration problem

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    You land on an unknown planet somewhere in the universe that clearly has weaker gravity than Earth. To measure g on this planet you do the following experiment: A ball is thrown upward from the ground. It passes a windowsill 15.0 m above ground and is seen to pass by the same windowsill 2.00 s after it went by on its way up. It reaches the ground again 5.00 s after it was thrown. Calculate the magnitude of g (the acceleration due to gravity) at the surface of this planet.

I drew the picture and started to sole the problem this way but I keep getting the wrong answers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

to me the initial velocity after 2 seconds should be
    v=distance/time which is 15m/2sec so the initial velocity should be 7.5m/s at that point. So from here I used

xf=1/2at^2+vit+xi

15=1/2a(2)^2+(7.5)(2)+0

a=-7.5

I get a gravitational acceleration of -7.5m/s^2. I tried 7 a well thinking the magnitude would be positive. But both answers are wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The particle is undergoing accn; it's not traveling at a uniform velo. What you have used is valid if speed is const. Correct it.

EDIT:

After another read, it's never even said anywhere that it took 2 secs to travel 15 m. It crossed the window sill at t=t' traveling up and t=t'+5 going down.

Use the eqns for motion under unifrom accn.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?