NEED help with AFR control project

In summary, the project is about creating a small-scale air to fuel ratio control system for an internal combustion engine. The main challenge is creating accurate and controllable air and fuel flow on a small scale. Suggestions for tackling this include using microfluidic devices and sensors designed for small-scale applications, as well as piezoelectric actuators for fuel control.
Guren2
Hi everyone I am new here!
and i desperately need help..
Im making an AIR to FUEL ratio control system for IC engine...its a project i started working on but i have a deadline in almost 3 weeks...
the layout is simple...theres airflow on one side and fuel flow on the other side..
both of the flows are sensed the air by a suitable air flow meter or any device that can sense the mass flow rate or volume flow rate, and on the fuel side a suitable fluid flow sensor...

both these inputs are fed to a microcontroller and this will formulate the input data in a useful form and match it with the required AFR for our engine...if AFR is low then the mass of air should be increased so the mcu will command an actuator to increase the flow rate of air
OR/AND command another actuator to decrease flow through the fuel duct similarly...
the problem is that this is supposed to be a very small scale project and creating these phenomena s of air flow and fluid flow on a very small scale is becoming very difficult...

we tried choosing a small fan to drive air by varying the voltage we could vary the rpm of it..but we had decided to put another fan right infront of it that will rotate because of air flowing through it and in turm generate a pd across its terminals that we'll feed into the mcu...however our fan doesn't even rotate air from a large fan or wind...its impossible to rotate it with a fan smilar to its size...

for controlling and measuring the fluid flow we thought we'll use a butterfly valve with a stepper motor connected to its shaft and take the input in the form of 'theta' ( at 0 degress ther will be minimum or 0 flow and at 90 degrees there will be complete or maximum flow)
but the setup and everything is very large and itll be hard to manage our circuitry and interfacing at the same time since this is our first time making a real project as second year aerospace students...
any ideas? how do i go about this?? :( :(

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello!
It sounds like you have a very interesting project on your hands. It is definitely challenging to create a small-scale model of an air to fuel ratio control system for an internal combustion engine. One suggestion I have is to look into using microfluidic devices. These are small-scale systems that can accurately control and measure fluid flow. They have been used in various scientific applications and could potentially be adapted for your project. Additionally, you may want to consider using sensors that are specifically designed for small-scale applications, such as MEMS sensors. These can accurately measure air and fluid flow rates in a compact size. As for the actuator to control the fuel flow, you could potentially use a piezoelectric actuator, which can provide precise control in a small size. I hope these ideas help and good luck with your project!

1. What is AFR control and why is it important?

AFR control, or Air-Fuel Ratio control, is a system used to regulate the ratio of air to fuel in an internal combustion engine. This is important because it directly affects the performance, efficiency, and emissions of the engine.

2. What is the purpose of this AFR control project?

The purpose of this project is to develop a system or algorithm that can accurately control the Air-Fuel Ratio in an engine in real-time, based on various input parameters such as engine load, speed, and temperature. This will help improve the overall performance and efficiency of the engine.

3. What are the challenges in developing an AFR control system?

There are several challenges in developing an AFR control system, including accurately measuring the air and fuel flow rates, accounting for variations in fuel quality, and dealing with changes in engine load and speed. Additionally, the system must be able to adjust the AFR quickly and accurately to ensure optimal engine performance.

4. What are the potential benefits of implementing an AFR control system?

Implementing an AFR control system can result in several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and increased engine power and torque. It can also help prolong the life of the engine by ensuring it operates within its optimal parameters.

5. How can I get involved in this AFR control project?

If you are interested in getting involved in this AFR control project, you can reach out to the research team or organization working on it. You can also stay updated on any developments or opportunities through their website or social media channels. Additionally, you can contribute by conducting your own research or experiments related to AFR control and sharing your findings with the scientific community.