Calculating Jump Height with Higher Gravity: Formula and Tips | Help Needed

• Thread starter jacksonbobby5
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is asking for the formula to calculate the maximum height an object can jump given an initial velocity and gravity that is greater than earth's. The suggested formula is y = (-g/2)t^2 + vt, where g is the gravitational acceleration, t is time, and v is the initial velocity. If the gravity on the other planet is known, it can be substituted for g. If only the mass and radius of the planet are known, the formula for gravitational acceleration at the surface of a planet, g = GM/R^2, can be used. An example is given where a kangaroo on planet Y, with a specified gravity of 12m/s^2, and an initial velocity of 8
jacksonbobby5
I am trying to find out how far something can jump off the ground with a gravity that is greater than earth. If I have an inital velocity of the jump and the specified gravity that is pushing against the object, what formula would I use to find out how high the object can jump?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you mean that the "specified gravity" is pulling on the object! Gravity does not "push".

You use the same formula as you would on earth. If the gravitational acceleration is g, then the formula for height is y= (-g/2)t^2+ vt where v is the initial velocity of the jump. You can find the maximum value of y, perhaps by completing the square, to be v2/2g.

If, by "a gravity that is greater than earth", you already know the acceleration due to gravity on this other planet, just use that for g. If, instead, you only know the mass and radius of the planet, you have a little more work to do.

If the planet has mass M and radius R, the acceleration due to gravity, at the surface of the planet is g= GM/R2 where G is the "universal gravitational constant".

So if I have a kangaroo on planet Y with a specified gravity of 12m/s^2. If he jumps with an inital velocity of 8m/s, how far would he travel?

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the equality between two expressions. It typically consists of variables, constants, and mathematical symbols such as +, -, *, and /.

Why do I need help with an equation?

Equations can be complex and involve multiple steps to solve. Seeking help with an equation can aid in understanding and solving the problem correctly.

How do I solve an equation?

The first step in solving an equation is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation using arithmetic operations. Then, use inverse operations to eliminate the constants and solve for the variable.

What are some common types of equations?

Some common types of equations include linear equations, quadratic equations, and exponential equations. These equations have different forms and require different methods to solve.

What are some resources for getting help with an equation?

There are many resources available for getting help with equations, such as online tutorials, math forums, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor may also be able to provide assistance.