How to Approach an Induction Proof for a Product Ratio Inequality?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by induction of the inequality (1x3x5x...x(2n-1))/(2x4x6x...x(2n)) <= 1/(2n+1)^.5. The approach involves proving the statement for n=1 and then using algebra and substitution to simplify the equation. The use of the squeeze theorem is also suggested.
Thomas Rainey

Homework Statement

[/B]
Prove the following:
(1x3x5x...x(2n-1))/(2x4x6x...x(2n)) <= 1/(2n+1)^.5

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1) Following the general steps of proof by induction, I first proved that the statement is true for the case n=1.

2) Next, I substituted n+1 for n into the equation.

3) Using algebra, I have hammered away at the problem from every angle that I can think of in hopes to end up with the same formula as in the original case. Is this the correct way to go about solving this problem? My best attempt thus far is in the attached file. My work begins with my substitution of n+1 for n.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 2.49.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 2.49.01 PM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
##1/2 \leq 1/\sqrt3##
Assume that for ##n, \, \prod_{i=1}^n \frac{2n-1}{2n} \leq \left( \frac{1}{2n+1} \right) ^{1/2}##
Then show that it holds true for ##n+1##
The goal is to use the fact that the relation is true for n so you only have to show that the addition of one term doesn't change the fact that the left side is less than the right side.
Think of it as the change to the left divided by the change to the right must be less than or equal to 1 for the induction to work.

RUber said:
##1/2 \leq 1/\sqrt3##
Assume that for ##n, \, \prod_{i=1}^n \frac{2n-1}{2n} \leq \left( \frac{1}{2n+1} \right) ^{1/2}##
Then show that it holds true for ##n+1##
The goal is to use the fact that the relation is true for n so you only have to show that the addition of one term doesn't change the fact that the left side is less than the right side.
Think of it as the change to the left divided by the change to the right must be less than or equal to 1 for the induction to work.

I took this approach in my attached work, but still couldn't get the induction to work. Do I have to use some kind of squeeze theorem approach you think?

Think about the net change from the ##n^{th} ## evaluation.
On the left side, you are multplying ##x_n## by ##\frac{2n+1}{2n+2}##.
The right side, you could look at as multiplying by ##\sqrt{\frac{2n+1}{2n+3}}##.

Call the nth evaluation of the left side ##L_n##, and the right side ##R_n## or whatever you want.
##L_{n+1}=L_n \frac{2n+1}{2n+2}##
##R_{n+1}=R_n \sqrt{\frac{2n+1}{2n+3}}##.

You need the change on the left to be less than or equal to the change on the right for the induction to work.

You know ##\frac{L_n}{R_n} \leq 1##
You need to show ##\frac{L_{n+1}}{R_{n+1}}\leq 1##

There may be times when flipping the fractions is helpful. Remember ## 1/n < a/b \implies n/1 > b/a . ##

Thanks for the help! I'll use this approach and see if I can figure it out.

1. What is an induction proof?

An induction proof is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if it is true for any given natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until it can be proven that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

2. When is an induction proof used?

An induction proof is commonly used in mathematics to prove statements that involve natural numbers, such as equations, inequalities, and divisibility. It is also used in computer science to prove the correctness of algorithms and programs.

3. What are the steps to completing an induction proof?

The steps to completing an induction proof are:

1. Prove the statement is true for the first natural number, usually 0 or 1.
  2. Assume the statement is true for an arbitrary natural number, usually denoted as k.
  3. Using this assumption, prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number (k+1).
  4. Conclude that since the statement is true for k and k+1, it must be true for all natural numbers.

4. What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

Weak induction, also known as the principle of mathematical induction, only requires proving the statement for the first natural number and the next natural number. Strong induction, on the other hand, requires proving the statement for all natural numbers between the first and the next natural number. In other words, strong induction allows for a stronger inductive step.

5. What are some common mistakes when using induction proof?

Some common mistakes when using induction proof include:

• Proving the statement for the wrong base case.
  • Assuming the statement is true for all natural numbers instead of just the next natural number.
  • Using circular reasoning by assuming the statement is true in the inductive step.
  • Not clearly stating the inductive hypothesis.
  • Not considering all possible cases in the inductive step.