1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with an inelastic collision problem

1. Nov 29, 2003 #1
    A car weighing 900 kg is waiting at a stop sign. A car weighing 1200 kg hits the oter car. The cars move .76 m after the collision. The coefficient of friction between the sliding tires and the pavement is .92. I need to find the speed of the car right before the collision.
    I dont know what to use. Conservation of momentum doesnt work because I need at least one of the velocities.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2003 #2
    formulajoe,
    I think conservation of momentum is the right idea. I think you got to use it.
    You got to find the final momentum. The idea is that the cars stick together after collision. So the final momentum is [itex](m_1 + m_2)v_{final}[/itex]. You got to find [itex]v_{final}[/itex].
    You can do that. The cars are decelerated by a constant force of friction. This force is [itex]F = .92(m_1 + m_2)g[/itex]. From [itex]F[/itex] and [itex]d = .76m[/itex] you can calculate [itex]v_{final}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?