AC Problem with Dodge Stratus: Fix or Help Needed

• Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Auto
In summary, it sounds like either the the control panel or actuator is going south and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure what the correct ohms needs to be on the panel, so your best bet is to pick up a basic repair manual for the vehicle and try to check it yourself. Could save you a bit of money.
Ronnin
I was hoping someone else may have had this issue. I have a Dodge Stratus with an AC problem. This one is kinda strange and have never had a car do this before. It cools just fine the only problem is that the AC control won't switch the fan from defrost to panel. Sometimes if I leave it on the panel setting it will eventually switch over but not always. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix I might be able to do myself without tearing the dash all up?

Physics news on Phys.org
it's never an easy fix anymore. In my old car it was a simple matter of following a cable. Now it's probably a chip.

Ronnin said:
I was hoping someone else may have had this issue. I have a Dodge Stratus with an AC problem. This one is kinda strange and have never had a car do this before. It cools just fine the only problem is that the AC control won't switch the fan from defrost to panel. Sometimes if I leave it on the panel setting it will eventually switch over but not always. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix I might be able to do myself without tearing the dash all up?

Sounds like either the the control panel or actuator is going south and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure what the correct ohms needs to be on the panel, so your best bet is to pick up a basic repair manual for the vehicle and try to check it yourself. Could save you a bit of money.

IMO, it has to be one of those two components.

Check for vacuum hoses, but I think this depends on how old and you didn't give a year.
Otherwise, what B. Eliot said.

My Alfa Romeo does the same thing. It always switches over eventually, but it can take up to 15 minutes.

The problem: It's an Alfa Romeo. The solution is not to be too fussy about where I want my ventilation directing.

2002. I'm going to attempt to get at the wires behind the control this weekend. I've done some searching around and I've read a couple places that the contacts soldered into the back of the AC controller may have just broken loose. Hopefully I don't have to rip the whole dash out to get to it. Texas is pretty hot this time of year. I want that air pounding me in the face.

brewnog said:
My Alfa Romeo does the same thing. It always switches over eventually, but it can take up to 15 minutes.

The problem: It's an Alfa Romeo. The solution is not to be too fussy about where I want my ventilation directing.

what the hell kind of hippie unanal sort of solution is that?

You may be able to solve the problem yourself, and if your lucky it will be an easy fix.

MODE DOOR ACTUATOR MOTOR
NOTE: If battery voltage is low or not sensed at the actuator/motor for less than a (60) second interval, the actuator/motor will be out of calibration. Remove the M1 (I.O.D.) fuse for a minimum of (60) seconds. The actuator/motor will then self calibrate itself upon reinstallation of fuse.

The mode door actuator is an electric motor. It mechanically positions the A/C unit panel/bi-level door and the floor/defrost door. Prior to part replacement, re-calibration of the HVAC actuator is recommended. Calibration is performed by disconnecting the battery negative cable or the removal of the instrument panel M-1 fuse. Electrical power should be re-established after (60) seconds which will automatically initiate the software calibration procedure. If this procedure fails, it will be necessary to replace the mode door actuator/motor. The mode door actuator/motor is not serviceable and must be replaced if found to be defective.

The mode door actuator is located on the upper left side of the A/C- Heater housing Mode Door Motor Location

REMOVAL
Disconnect battery negative cable.
Remove left underpanel silencer/duct.
Remove electrical connection on actuator Mode Motor Connector
Remove actuator retaining screws. Then pull actuator straight down. Upon removal, note the shaft position of the actuator, because the shaft on this motor is keyed. When installing new actuator, its shaft must be positioned in the same location.
INSTALLATION
For installation, reverse the above procedures.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Repair-809/Mode-Selector.htm

Here is another good link. It is pay for use only, but most public libraries subscribe to it.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/?gclid=CMeL8sucspUCFQoFGgodwWyLPw

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
You may be able to solve the problem yourself, and if your lucky it will be an easy fix.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Repair-809/Mode-Selector.htm

Here is another good link. It is pay for use only, but most public libraries subscribe to it.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/?gclid=CMeL8sucspUCFQoFGgodwWyLPw

Thank you so much for this information! I will try this first.

Last edited by a moderator:
tribdog said:
what the hell kind of hippie unanal sort of solution is that?

You've never owned an Alfa, have you?

My guess is the actuator. POS valeo parts. If it is the actuator, its not going to be easy to fix. Have you ever replaced a heater core before?

Well after jacking with the panel I confirmed it is a short in the connector behind the AC control. I can pivot the controller slightly and get the thing to switch to panel air. Looks like I got lucky this time. Thanks everyone for your replies and ideas.

1. What are the common causes of AC problems in a Dodge Stratus?

The most common causes of AC problems in a Dodge Stratus include low refrigerant levels, clogged or dirty air filters, a malfunctioning compressor, or a faulty AC control module.

2. How do I know if my AC compressor is the problem?

If your AC is blowing hot air, making strange noises, or leaking fluid, it is likely that your AC compressor is the problem. You can also check the compressor by visually inspecting it for any signs of damage or wear.

3. Can I fix my AC problem myself or do I need professional help?

The answer to this question depends on the cause of the AC problem. If it is a simple issue like low refrigerant levels or a dirty air filter, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if the problem is more complex or requires specialized tools, it is best to seek professional help.

4. How much does it typically cost to fix an AC problem in a Dodge Stratus?

The cost of fixing an AC problem in a Dodge Stratus can vary depending on the cause of the problem and the extent of the damage. On average, it can cost anywhere from $100 to $1000 for repairs, including parts and labor.

5. How can I prevent AC problems in my Dodge Stratus?

To prevent AC problems in your Dodge Stratus, it is important to regularly maintain your vehicle's AC system. This includes changing the air filter, checking and topping off refrigerant levels, and getting the AC system inspected by a professional at least once a year.