Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help with Auto AC

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    I was hoping someone else may have had this issue. I have a Dodge Stratus with an AC problem. This one is kinda strange and have never had a car do this before. It cools just fine the only problem is that the AC control won't switch the fan from defrost to panel. Sometimes if I leave it on the panel setting it will eventually switch over but not always. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix I might be able to do myself without tearing the dash all up?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2
    it's never an easy fix anymore. In my old car it was a simple matter of following a cable. Now it's probably a chip.

4. Aug 26, 2008 #3
    Sounds like either the the control panel or actuator is going south and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure what the correct ohms needs to be on the panel, so your best bet is to pick up a basic repair manual for the vehicle and try to check it yourself. Could save you a bit of money.

IMO, it has to be one of those two components.

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check for vacuum hoses, but I think this depends on how old and you didn't give a year.
    Otherwise, what B. Eliot said.

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My Alfa Romeo does the same thing. It always switches over eventually, but it can take up to 15 minutes.

The problem: It's an Alfa Romeo. The solution is not to be too fussy about where I want my ventilation directing.

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6
    2002. I'm going to attempt to get at the wires behind the control this weekend. I've done some searching around and i've read a couple places that the contacts soldered into the back of the AC controller may have just broken loose. Hopefully I don't have to rip the whole dash out to get to it. Texas is pretty hot this time of year. I want that air pounding me in the face.

8. Aug 28, 2008 #7
    what the hell kind of hippie unanal sort of solution is that?

9. Aug 28, 2008 #8
    You may be able to solve the problem yourself, and if your lucky it will be an easy fix.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Repair-809/Mode-Selector.htm

Here is another good link. It is pay for use only, but most public libraries subscribe to it.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/?gclid=CMeL8sucspUCFQoFGgodwWyLPw

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  10. Aug 29, 2008 #9
  11. Aug 29, 2008 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've never owned an Alfa, have you?

12. Aug 29, 2008 #11
    My guess is the actuator. POS valeo parts. If it is the actuator, its not going to be easy to fix. Have you ever replaced a heater core before?

13. Aug 29, 2008 #12
    Well after jacking with the panel I confirmed it is a short in the connector behind the AC control. I can pivot the controller slightly and get the thing to switch to panel air. Looks like I got lucky this time. Thanks everyone for your replies and ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?