Unlock the Basics of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Centric Guide for Self-Learning"

• Thread starter adamimos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, a good place to start studying quantum mechanics on your own is by getting Amit Goswami's book, which is written for advanced undergrads and beginning grad students. Other recommended books include "Quantum Mechanics" by Galindo and Pascual, "Modern Physics and Quantum Mechanics" by Elmer Anderson, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths. It is also important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra for a better understanding of the subject.
adamimos
Hey guys I'm new here. I'm a sophomore in college and am very interested in learning QM, with a more math oriented approach. I know classical mechanics and EM pretty well and am good at calculus up to differential equations. Is there any good place to start on my own? I simply don't have time to take the credits to take the course at school.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mechanics Self-Study

If you are trying to study quantum mechanics on your own (which is commendable and shows ambition on your part) I would recommend that you get Amit Goswami's book. It is written on the level for advanced undergrads and beginning grad students. Some will say Griffiths is better, but Goswami's problems at the end of the chapters are more engaging (in my opinion anyhow). Stay away from Sukari, I wouldn't look at his book until you've worked your way up to perturbation theory in Goswami's book.

The general sequence of topics for any QM class are:

1- Failure of the classical radiation theory, introduction of quanta
2- The infamous Schroedinger equation and review of eigenvalue problems
3- Operator representation of classical quantities
4- Solution of Schroedinger in 1-D square wells
5- Harmonic oscillators
6- Quantum numbers of orbital angular momentum
7- Solution of Hydrogen atom in radial potential
8- Electrons in a radiation field
Models up to this point are all toys.
9- Aprroximation methods perturbation theory
Stationary States, Time-dependent states, and Scattering problems.

thanks a lot, i'll look into it, hopefully the library has this book

i'm sure ill be on this forum with a lot of simple questions

adamimos said:
Hey guys I'm new here. I'm a sophomore in college and am very interested in learning QM, with a more math oriented approach. I know classical mechanics and EM pretty well and am good at calculus up to differential equations. Is there any good place to start on my own? I simply don't have time to take the credits to take the course at school.

What do you mean by that ? The best book for that is "Quantum Mechanics" by Galindo and Pascual, perhaps complemented by Prugovec,ki and Thirring.

Daniel.

Books and authors are always a matter of opinion. I've been tutoring undergrads in quantum mechanics for about ten years now, and the students I've worked with couldn't relate at all to Walter Thirring. They said the book was too bogged down in math and formalism to get a clear "rudimentary" understanding. I can't comment on the two other titles you mention. I have done plenty of research through the years on what strategies work for students at various levels (e.g.- those who would have stonger background in math or done well in an allied science). And with regards to QM I have found Goswami's book a good fit.

I still like my very old copy of Messiah. It is very cheap now, at Dover.
However, the last part is a bit outdated (on relativistic QM).

I will still tout the best introductory QM text that I've ever come across that do not skimp on coverage. It is Elmer Anderson's "Modern Physics and Quantum Mechanics". It is out of print, but you can still find used ones on Amazon.

What is so amazing for an INTRO book like this is (i) it covers various aspect of modern physics, including Special Relativity; (ii) it is one of the few intro books that actually have a good discussion on variational method, something that most intro QM texts leave out; (iii) one of the best text that I have seen at explaining and applying matrix mechanics, especially on matrix diagonalization and unitary transformation (the only other elementary text that does as clear of an explanation is Boas's mathematical physics text); (iv) it has the clearest explanation of perturbation method, something that I found confusing in books like Liboff and Messiah IF one has never come across it before.

It is highly recommended if you can find one (used ones are selling for less than $10 on Amazon). When I die, this is one of the books that I will be buried with, so that I will have something to read.

:)

Zz.

Last edited:
Physics Forums, hang around here for a while and you'll learn loads. :smile:

ZapperZ said:
I will still tout the best introductory QM text that I've ever come across that do not skimp on coverage. It is Elmer Anderson's "Modern Physics and Quantum Mechanics". It is out of print, but you can still find used ones on Amazon.

What is so amazing for an INTRO book like this is (i) it covers various aspect of modern physics, including Special Relativity; (ii) it is one of the few intro books that actually have a good discussion on variational method, something that most intro QM texts leave out; (iii) one of the best text that I have seen at explaining and applying matrix mechanics, especially on matrix diagonalization and unitary transformation (the only other elementary text that does as clear of an explanation is Boas's mathematical physics text); (iv) it has the clearest explanation of perturbation method, something that I found confusing in books like Liboff and Messiah IF one has never come across it before.

It is highly recommended if you can find one (used ones are selling for less than $10 on Amazon). When I die, this is one of the books that I will be buried with, so that I will have something to read.

:)

Zz.

Perturbation theory is a quite technical subject, and if this book can explain it clearly and with ease this sounds like a real find. Goswami has a good discussion on variational methods and building trial wavefunctions (although it's brief).

Don't get Liboff's book. This book sucked SO hard. :(

I've found Griffiths great. The problems are sometimes more challenging than what he covers in the chapter, but there are also many solid problems that will give you an understanding. He covers both the variational principle and perturbation theory.

Since you seem to be coming from a mathematical background, my next advice may fall on deaf ears: Know your linear algebra. If you get the chance take an upper division linear algebra class. It's very important to quantum mechanics.

Also, you might as well take a look at all of the recommended books (most college libraries should have them) instead of just choosing one on our advice. Textbooks are often a matter of taste.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time, and how they can interact with each other through processes such as entanglement and superposition.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it provides a framework for understanding the fundamental nature of the universe and how it operates at a microscopic level. It has also led to groundbreaking technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computers, and continues to drive advancements in fields like medicine and material science.

3. Is it difficult to learn quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics can be a challenging subject to learn, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a shift in thinking from classical physics. However, with dedication and a strong foundation in math and physics, it is possible to grasp the basics of quantum mechanics and build upon them.

4. How does math play a role in quantum mechanics?

Mathematics is an essential tool for understanding and describing quantum mechanics. Many of the key concepts and principles in quantum mechanics are expressed through mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. A solid understanding of math is crucial for studying quantum mechanics.

5. Can I learn quantum mechanics on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn quantum mechanics on your own with the right resources and dedication. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as access to reputable textbooks and online courses. The book "Unlock the Basics of Quantum Mechanics" is a great resource for self-learning, as it provides a math-centric approach to understanding the fundamentals of quantum mechanics.