How Does the Biot-Savart Law Apply to Two Perpendicular Current-Carrying Wires?

In summary, two long, straight, parallel wires with perpendicular currents are described. Wire 1 carries a known current I1 into the page at x=+a, while Wire 2 carries an unknown current I2 and passes through the x-axis at x=-2a. The total magnetic field at the origin, due to both wires, has a specific magnitude. The current I2 can have two possible values. The process of finding the magnetic field at a point P for one current carrying wire is known, but finding it for two wires is not. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the "right-hand rule" for both wires, and the fields can be added or subtracted based on the direction of the fingers.
andrew410
Two very long, straight, parallel wires carry currents that are directed perpendicular to the page, as in the figure below. Wire 1 carries a current I1 into the page (in the -z direction) and passes through the x-axis at x=+a. Wire 2 passes through the x-axis at x=-2a and carries an unknown current I2. The total magnetic field at the origin due to the current-carrying wires has the magnitude (2*permeability of free space)/(2*pi*a) The current I2 can have either of two possible values.

I know how to get the magnetic field at a point P for one current carrying wire, but I don't understand how to get the magnetic field at a point P for two current carrying wires. I know that the magnetic field at a point P for one current carrying wire is B=(permeability of free space * I)/(2*pi*a).

I need some help...Any help would be great. Thx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Add them as vectors...Meaning the two distinct contributions from each current/wire...

Daniel.

P.S.It's not Biot-Savart(-Laplace) law here...It's more like Ampère...

andrew410 said:
Two very long, straight, parallel wires carry currents that are directed perpendicular to the page, as in the figure below. Wire 1 carries a current I1 into the page (in the -z direction) and passes through the x-axis at x=+a. Wire 2 passes through the x-axis at x=-2a and carries an unknown current I2. The total magnetic field at the origin due to the current-carrying wires has the magnitude (2*permeability of free space)/(2*pi*a) The current I2 can have either of two possible values.

I know how to get the magnetic field at a point P for one current carrying wire, but I don't understand how to get the magnetic field at a point P for two current carrying wires. I know that the magnetic field at a point P for one current carrying wire is B=(permeability of free space * I)/(2*pi*a).

I need some help...Any help would be great. Thx in advance!

Point your "thumb" in the direction of the flow of current and curl your four fingers around the wire (just like when you jack off), the direction of your four fingers is the direction of the magnetic field, do the same for the other 2nd wire. If one time your fingers point clockwise and other time anticlockwise then subtract the magnetic field othewise add.

Last edited:
logicalman said:
Point your "thumb" in the direction of the flow of current and curl your five fingers around the wire (just like when you jack off), the direction of your five fingers is the direction of the magnetic field, do the same for the other 2nd wire. If one time your fingers point clockwise and other time anticlockwise then subtract the magnetic field othewise add.

Does that mean that u assumed he/she has 6 fingers at one hand (at least)... :confused: :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a steady electric current and the resulting magnetic field it produces. It states that the magnetic field at a certain point is directly proportional to the current and the distance from the point to the current.

2. How do you use the Biot-Savart law?

To use the Biot-Savart law, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the current, the distance between the current and the point where you want to calculate the magnetic field, and the angle between the two. Then, you can plug these values into the equation and solve for the magnetic field at that point.

3. What are the units of the Biot-Savart law?

The units of the Biot-Savart law are Tesla (T) for magnetic field, Ampere (A) for current, and meter (m) for distance. The equation for the Biot-Savart law is B = μ0I/4πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space and has a value of 4π x 10^-7 T*m/A.

4. What is the difference between the Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law?

While both laws describe the relationship between electric current and magnetic fields, the Biot-Savart law is used for calculating the magnetic field at a specific point due to a steady current, whereas Ampere's law is used for calculating the magnetic field around a closed loop of current. Additionally, Ampere's law takes into account the displacement current, while the Biot-Savart law does not.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law has many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to create detailed images of the human body. Additionally, the Biot-Savart law is used in the study of geophysics to map the Earth's magnetic field and in the aviation industry for the design of aircrafts and navigation systems.