Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with calculus problem

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    can anyone figure this out? i keep getting undefined somewhere but my teacher says there is a correct answer.

heres the problem.

.0065 times the integral of e to the (-.0139(t-48)squared) power.

i cant find the integral cause i get undefined when the chain rule is used to chain out the exponent.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2
    i don't think there is a correct answer. not with "elementary functions" anyway.

4. Dec 7, 2004 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\exp\left(-a(t-t_0)^2\right)[/tex] does not have an elementary antiderivative.
    You can get an exact expression of the integral though if the limits of integration extend to infinity.

What are the limits of integration in your problem?

5. Dec 7, 2004 #4
    Try graphing the equation. I believe the gaussian (bell - curve) is also this kind, for which the answer should then be 1. Not sure though.

6. Dec 7, 2004 #5

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Presumably you're looking for a numerical solution right? Otherwise the solution is the error function related which is not elementary.

7. Dec 7, 2004 #6
    well the thing is this is a problem in our calculus book in the section under logarithmic and exponential integration. which is wierd. there is nothing else to the problem except what i have given here. the book asks for the answer to that probability equation and wants it as a percentage. while its great that i have the answer, i dont know how to get it because i get undefined

8. Dec 8, 2004 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It might be a good idea to tell us what the problem actually is! The way you posed the problem originally, it was an indefinite integral but it appears that the problem gave specific limits.

9. Dec 8, 2004 #8
    i thought i gave the restrictions? it was from 48-60. that is why i was saying i get undefined from the chain rule. sorry for the confusion

10. Dec 8, 2004 #9
    Is the answer approximately .046641?

11. Dec 9, 2004 #10

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Got that too: 0.04664079814

12. Dec 9, 2004 #11
    yah! it is. how did u get that.

13. Dec 9, 2004 #12

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Numerical integration would definitely work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?