Calculating Solution Composition: Isopropanol in Water

• Thread starter jdhutto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, a solution was made by dissolving 0.40 mol of isopropanol (C3H7OH) in 0.70 mol of water. The mole fraction of isopropanol can be calculated using the equation: amount (mol) of solute / amount (mol) of solute + amount (mol) of solvent. The mass percent of isopropanol can be calculated using the equation: mass of solute/ mass of solute + mass of solvent x 100. The molality of isopropanol can be calculated using the equation: amount mol of solute/ mass kg of solvent. It is important to show effort and work through the calculations to understand the concepts fully.
jdhutto

Homework Statement

A solution is made by disolving 0.40 mol isopropanol (C3H7OH) in 0.70 mol water.
(a) What is the mole fraction of isopropanol?

(b) What is the mass percent of isopropanol?
%
(c) What is the molality of isopropanol?
m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what steps to take here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoa man why are you posting so many times, if they don't answer they don't answer. I've been waiting for an answer, if someone knows then they'll hopefully help you if not? posting 20 times won't help.

Do you know the definitions of each of those quantities? Can you show the equations for them? Check your book. Tell us what is giving you trouble. You need to show more effort, we can't do all the work for you!

mole fraction= amount (mol) of solute / amount (mol) of solute + amount (mol) of solven

mass percent= mass of solute/ mass of solute + mass of solvent x 100

molality = amount mol of solute/ mass kg of solvent

i know the equations do i just plug the quantities in or is there more to it than that

jdhutto said:
i know the equations do i just plug the quantities in or is there more to it than that
show more work in your post(s) and we'll be glad to help :)

it won't help you very much if we just direct you straight to the answerrr

Just try to do the calculations. Look at what the equation is asking for. Was it given to you in the question? Do you have to do some calculations to get those quantities in the equation? The best way to get help is to show your work. That way we can see what you're not understanding.

What is the best way to approach a chemistry problem?

The best way to approach a chemistry problem is to carefully read the question and identify what information is given and what is being asked. Then, use your knowledge of chemical concepts and equations to solve the problem step by step.

How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?

To improve your understanding of chemistry, it is important to regularly attend class and actively participate in discussions and activities. You can also practice solving problems and reviewing concepts on your own, and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.

Why do I keep making mistakes in chemistry problems?

Making mistakes in chemistry problems is common, as it is a complex subject. However, it could be due to a lack of understanding of the concepts or not paying attention to details. It is important to review your work carefully and identify where you went wrong in order to improve.

How can I apply chemistry in real life?

Chemistry is all around us and has many practical applications in daily life. For example, understanding chemical reactions can help in cooking, cleaning, and even making medication. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as agriculture, energy, and medicine.

What resources are available for getting help with chemistry problems?

There are many resources available for getting help with chemistry problems. Your teacher, classmates, and tutor can provide assistance. You can also find online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Additionally, there are many chemistry textbooks, videos, and interactive simulations that can aid in understanding concepts and solving problems.