Mastering Colors: Tips and Resources for Understanding and Using Color Theory

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
In summary, the difference between adding and subtracting colors is that when you add colors, everything is added together. When you subtract colors, something is taken away.
dnt
i know its suppose to be an easy topic but it always confuses me. i can never figure out what color will be shown in different circumstances. eg. what colors are shown under ____ light? or if you reflect _____, so and so colors are absorbed and others are reflected. of if _____ is shined on ______ you will see ______. stuff like that. for any color(s).

and for complementary and secondary colors - all of that stuff. i just never know how to answer these questions and what colors do what.

is there a website that would help me understand how to solve and answer the color questions? something to get me started and clarify the confusing stuff. id really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many colors are you asked to deal with? That is are you just concerned with the primary (RGB) and secondary (CYM) colors? (And then, of course W&B)

If so, then it is convenient to think of colored light as "+" colors, and solids as "-" colors. That is, yellow light is "+R+G" . Solid yellow is a filter that is "-B". Are you with me so far?

not really. what's the difference between colored light and solids? i thought they were all "colors."

It's the difference between "additive" and "subtractive". If you shine a red light and a blue light on a white surface you will see both colors "added". The color you get will be "lighter". If you shine a white light on a red painted surface, everything but red is absorbed ("subtracted"). If you use both red and blue paint, more of the white light will be absorbed and you will get a darker color.

thats the stuff i don't fully get.

i want to learn the "rules" - stuff you are explaining but in more general terms so that if any colors are presented to me (either being added or shined somewhere, etc) then i can figure out the answer.

like to start, what's the difference between adding and subtracting colors and how do you konw when either is being done?

OK, color is light. If you see red, then you are seeing red light.

White light is composed of "all colors" but for now let's just say "+red, +green, + blue = white."

If white light goes through a "red filter," the filter takes away the green and blue, therefore it's "subtractive." It filters out everything except red.
So instead of calling a red filter "red," call it "-green, -blue."

OK, are you with me?

1. What is the importance of color in science?

Color plays a crucial role in science as it helps us identify and distinguish different elements, compounds, and substances. It also helps us to visualize and interpret data and observations.

2. How do colors affect our perception of things?

Colors have a significant impact on our perception of things as they can evoke emotions, influence our behavior, and affect our decision-making. Different colors can also create illusions and distort our perception of size, distance, and shape.

3. How do scientists use color to communicate information?

Scientists use color to represent and communicate complex data and information. They often use color-coding systems to categorize and differentiate between different variables, making it easier for others to understand and interpret the data.

4. How do we see colors?

We see colors through a process called color vision, which involves the interaction between light, the eye, and the brain. Light enters the eye and stimulates specialized cells called cones, which then send signals to the brain, allowing us to see colors.

5. How do colorblindness and color deficiency impact scientific research?

Colorblindness and color deficiency can significantly impact scientific research as they can affect the accuracy and interpretation of data. Scientists must consider these conditions and use alternative methods, such as symbols and patterns, to present information to ensure inclusivity and accuracy in their research.