How Do I Apply Cauchy's Theorems to Complex Integrals with Boundary Conditions?

In summary, the conversation is about a student encountering difficulties with a complex analysis problem involving integration and boundary conditions. The question appears to be a contour integral and the student is unsure whether to use Cauchy's integral formula or Cauchy-Goursat theorem. The student decides to use partial fractions to split up the integral but is unsure how to proceed from there. The conversation ends with the student considering using manipulation to solve the problem.
Reshma
I am trying to teach myself some complex analysis. I am using Complex Numbers by Churchill & Brown as my reference. I have reached the integration section and I am encountering certain difficulties.
For e.g. I have this problem:
[tex]\oint \frac{dz}{z^2 - z -2}, |z|\leq 3[/tex]

I can split up the integrand using partial fractions but I don't know how to interpret the boundary conditions that they have given.
Cauchy's integral formula gives:
[tex]\int_C
\frac{f(z)dz}{z - a} = 2\pi i f(a)[/tex]
Where f(z) is analytic and single valued within a closed curve 'C' and 'a' is any point interior to C.

Cauchy-Goursat theorem states:
[tex]\int_C f(z)dz = \int_a^b f[z(t)] z'(t) dt , a\leq t \leq b [/tex]

I don't know whether I should use the Cauchy-integral formula or the Cauchy-Goursat theorem.

Can someone help me out here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sure looks like a contour integral to me. They have GOT to mean integrate around the circle |z|=3, but they should also specify direction. In which case the Cauchy integral formula looks fine. Besides, you are the teacher! You get to decide what it means. Or are you trying to reconcile with a given answer?

Last edited:
Yes, it is a contour integral. This question appeared in one of the past exam papers of my university. I wonder if it is a misprint when it should have been |z|= 3. Cauchy's integral formula doesn't seem to fit in here since I don't have a "z-a" term in the denominator. I will out this problem with the other theorem and post my solution ASAP.

BTW, I am still a student and don't have any given solutions. :wink:

I thought you said that you were going to use partial fractions to split up the integral? That would give you something to feed to Cauchy formula. I'm not really sure what I think of as Cauchy-Goursat (which isn't what you wrote!) will help you. Anyway, it's really just a residue problem - but I guess you have'nt gotten there yet.

Thanks for looking into this. This what I get using partial fractions.

[tex]\frac{1}{z^2 - z -2} = \frac{1}{(z+1)(z-2)} = \frac{1}{3(z-2)} -\frac{1}{3(z+1)}[/tex]

This doesn't seem to fit the Cauchy Integral or should I use some manipulation like multiplying and dividing by (z-3)??

Last edited:
Why do you say it doesn't fit. You have two terms - each one fits. ??

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration refers to the process of evaluating integrals that involve complex numbers. It is an extension of real integration, where instead of dealing with real-valued functions, we deal with complex-valued functions.

2. Why is complex integration important?

Complex integration is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of complex analysis, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows us to solve problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve using real integration.

3. How is complex integration different from real integration?

Complex integration differs from real integration in several ways. Firstly, complex integrals are evaluated along complex paths rather than real intervals. Secondly, complex integrals involve complex-valued functions and the use of the complex plane. Lastly, complex integration has unique properties, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations, that do not exist in real integration.

4. What are some common techniques used in complex integration?

Some common techniques used in complex integration include the use of Cauchy's integral theorem and formula, the residue theorem, and contour integration. These techniques allow us to evaluate complex integrals by reducing them to simpler forms or by using clever manipulations.

5. How can I improve my skills in complex integration?

The best way to improve your skills in complex integration is to practice solving problems. Familiarize yourself with the various techniques and theorems used in complex integration and try to apply them to different types of integrals. You can also seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or attend lectures and workshops on complex integration.