Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with derivation

1. Apr 22, 2004 #1
    [SOLVED] Need help with derivation

I have four formulas from SR, and need to relate them. Two are the Lorentz Transform, one is a simple formula for velocity, and the fourth is the formula for the addition of velocity in SR.

[tex]1... x^\prime = { x-vt \over \sqrt { 1-{v^2 \over c^2} } } \quad 2... t^\prime = { { t-{v \over c^2 } x } \over \sqrt { 1-{v^2 \over c^2 } } } \quad 3... x^\prime = wt^\prime \quad 4... W={ v+w \over 1+{vw \over c^2 } }[/tex]

Dr. Einstein says:

(Hope that made sense.)

I have tried this, and got here:

[tex]w = { x^\prime \over t^\prime }[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow w = { { x-vt \over \sqrt { 1- { v^2 \over c^2 } } } \over { { t - { v \over c^2 } x } \over \sqrt { 1- { v^2 \over c^2 } } }[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow w = { x-vt \over t - { v \over c^2 } x }[/tex]

...so then...

[tex]W=v+{ x-vt \over t - { v \over c^2 } x }[/tex]

...and that's as far as I got. I am quite a ways away from equation (4), above.

Can anyone help me here?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2004 #2

DW

Yeah, as he said W is NOT v+w. Instead W is x/t. So continuing from
    [tex]w = { x-vt \over t - { v \over c^2 } x }[/tex]
    divide the top and bottom by t
    [tex]w = { \frac{x}{t}-v \over 1 - { v \over c^2 } \frac{x}{t} }[/tex]
    [tex]w = { W-v \over 1 - { Wv \over c^2 } }[/tex]
    Solve for W and you will get
    [tex]W = { w+v \over 1 + { wv \over c^2 } }[/tex]

4. Apr 22, 2004 #3
    DW,

Thanks for a quick and thorough response. I was kind of afraid to go there, because it seems to me that there is a pun here between v=x/t and W=x/t.

Clearly both are true in SOME sense, and it is also clear that v<>W (though in the abstract, W is a kind of v).

Do you think that you can spare me another moment and clear that up for me?

Thanks!

5. Apr 22, 2004 #4

DW

In this context, v is not x/t. W is. There are three velocities being related. There is w which is the velocity of some "thing" according to measurements made from the primed coodinate system. There is W which is the velocity of that same "thing" according to measurements made from the unprimed coordinate system. And then there is v which is the speed of one of the coordinate systems according to measurements made from the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?