1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with differentiablility

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    please delete thread, i made a mistake

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your question doesn't make much sense the way it's written, or maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I'm assuming that m and n are real numbers.

nx + m is differentiable for any values of m and n, regardless of the value of x. If the domain is restricted to x <= -1, it's still differentiable.

nx3 +x + 2m is differentiable for all values of m and n, regardless of the value of x.

It occurs to me that what you have, but didn't explain very well, is a function whose formula is different on the two intervals. If that's the case, you want to find m and n so that
    [tex]1) \lim_{x \rightarrow -1^-} f(x)~=~\lim_{x \rightarrow -1^+} f(x)[/tex]
    [tex]2) \lim_{x \rightarrow -1^+} f'(x)~=~\lim_{x \rightarrow -1^+} f'(x)[/tex]
    If the first condition is satisfied, your function will be continuous for all x. If the second is satisfied, the derivative will be continuous for all x.

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    that how the question is written

i have to find the value of n and m that will make them differentiable, i solve the first one and it give me m = -1+n,

than i do limit from the right side is equal to the left resolve it and n = 1

than i replace n from the initial equation and than gives me 0, is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook