1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with differentiation

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    Need help with implicit differentiation

I have only just been introduced to implicit differentiation and am cluelessly stuck on this question:
    Express d^2y/dx^2 as a function of x if siny + cosy = x
    my first attempt was just to simply differentiate each term, and ended up with -(siny+cosy)d^2y/dx^2 = 0. The answer in the back of the book is: x/(2-x^2)^(3/2)...which unlike my answer is a function of x...my problem is that I really don't know how to arrive at this answer.
    I can't think of any trig identity that can help me here and so my best guess is that I should find the three sides of a triangle with which siny and cosy make x, but I have no idea about how to go about finding these sides with the information I have been given.
    part of the denominator: sqrt(2-x^2) seems like the hypoteneuse but I am having difficulty coming up with the other two sides and to make x. I apologise if solving this should be a no-brainer but I simply don't know how to proceed. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then I suspect that the answer in the back of the book is wrong!

sin y+ cos y= x so, by implicit differentiation, cos y y'- sin y y'= 1 or
    y'(cos y- sin y)= 1.

Differentiate again: y" (cos y- sin y)+ y'(-sin y- cosy)= 0 which is the same as y" (cos y- sin y)= (sin y+ cos y)y'= xy' (since sin y+ cos y= x).

But y'(cos - sin y)= 1 means that y'= 1/(cosy -sin y) so

y"(cos y- sin y)= x/(cos y- sin y)

y"= x/(cos y- sin y)2= x/(cos2[/sup y- 2sin ycosy+ cos2 y)= x/(1- 2sin y cos y)

Now, we know that x= sin y+ cos y so x2= (sin y+ cos y)2= sin2+ 2sin y cos y+ cos2 y= 1+ 2 sin y cos y.
    1- 2 siny cos y= 2- (1+ 2 sin y cos y)= 2- x2.

The correct answer is just [tex]y"= \frac{x}{2-x^2}[/tex]. There is no "3/2" power.

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    That was brilliant HallsofIvy...Thankyou:smile:

5. Nov 3, 2005 #4
    The curve y1 is y1=ax^2+ax+b.The curve y2 is y2=cx-x^2.They both have
    common tangent the line which passes through the ponit (1,0).Find the a,b,c.
    Please somebody help me.Thank you.

6. Nov 3, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1. Do not "hijack" someone else's thread to ask a completely new question- start your own thread.

2. Show us what you have done, what you have attempted.

You know that any line passing through (1,0) must be of the form y= m(x-1).
    What are the conditions on m so that it is tangent to both curves (at some points on those curves)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?