How Do You Solve a Discrete Convolution Sum with Step Functions?

So why don't you do that?In summary, the convolution of ##x[n]## and ##h[n]## is given by ##3\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{n-1}## for ##n < -2## and ##0## for all other values of ##n##. This is calculated by expanding the sum and using a geometric series.
Xyius

Homework Statement

Find ##x[n] \ast h[n]## when ##x[n] = 3 u[2-n]## and ##h[n] = 4\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{n+2}u[n+4]## where ##u[n-k]## is the unit step function.

Homework Equations

None really

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know this is probably simple but I am confused.

So the convolution is written as,

[tex]\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} 4\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k+2}u[k+4](3)u[2-n+k][/tex]

This simplifies to,

[tex]3\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k}u[k+4]u[2-n+k][/tex]

The first step function of ##u[k+4]## means that the terms in the sum corresponding to ## k < -4 ## are zero, therefore this becomes the bottom limit.

[tex]3\sum_{k=-4}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k}u[2-n+k][/tex]

This form is confusing to me. I don't see an obvious limit on k except for that its LOWER limit is ##n-2##. What I tried to do is do some change of variables, such as ##k'=2-n+k##, this changes the lower limit to -2-n and the upper limit to infinity. So I have...

[tex]3\sum_{k'=-2-n}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k'-2+n}u[k'][/tex]

So this means that ##k'## must be larger than zero, which means ## n < -2##. So in this regime, the step function is 1 and I get..

[tex]3\sum_{k'=0}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k'-2+n}=3\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{n-1}[/tex]

Am I doing this correctly? I am just not sure. Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to read this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:

Homework Statement

Find ##x[n] \ast h[n]## when ##x[n] = 3 u[2-n]## and ##h[n] = 4\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{n+2}u[n+4]## where ##u[n-k]## is the unit step function.

Homework Equations

None really

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know this is probably simple but I am confused.

So the convolution is written as,

[tex]\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} 4\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k+2}u[k+4](3)u[2-n+k][/tex]

This simplifies to,

[tex]3\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k}u[k+4]u[2-n+k][/tex]

The first step function of ##u[k+4]## means that the terms in the sum corresponding to ## k < -4 ## are zero, therefore this becomes the bottom limit.

[tex]3\sum_{k=-4}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k}u[2-n+k][/tex]

This form is confusing to me. I don't see an obvious limit on k except for that its LOWER limit is ##n-2##. What I tried to do is do some change of variables, such as ##k'=2-n+k##, this changes the lower limit to -2-n and the upper limit to infinity. So I have...

[tex]3\sum_{k'=-2-n}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k'-2+n}u[k'][/tex]

So this means that ##k'## must be larger than zero, which means ## n < -2##. So in this regime, the step function is 1 and I get..

[tex]3\sum_{k'=0}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k'-2+n}=3\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{n-1}[/tex]

Am I doing this correctly? I am just not sure. Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to read this!

I don't see how the substitution is any improvement. Since both step functions have to be simultaneously ##1## I get:
[tex]3\sum_{k=max\{-4, n-2\}}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k}[/tex]
which leaves you two cases. Is ##n## a natural number or another integer?

fresh_42 said:
I don't see how the substitution is any improvement. Since both step functions have to be simultaneously ##1## I get:
[tex]3\sum_{k=max\{-4, n-2\}}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{k}[/tex]
which leaves you two cases. Is ##n## a natural number or another integer?

##n## is an integer. And I believe must be smaller than -2 from what I showed here. So that would mean the max value in the lower limit should be -4? Then I could just expand out until k=0 and use a geometric sum.

Xyius said:
##n## is an integer. And I believe must be smaller than -2 from what I showed here. So that would mean the max value in the lower limit should be -4? Then I could just expand out until k=0 and use a geometric sum.
Yes. Except that I'm not certain about your assumption on ##n##. But that will only give you a factor depending on ##n##. If you can calculate it for ##k = -4## you should as well be able to calculate it for ##k=n-2## regardless what ##n## is.

1. What is discrete convolution sum?

Discrete convolution sum is a mathematical operation that combines two discrete functions to create a third function. It is used to represent the output of a linear time-invariant system, where the output is the sum of the input and the system's response to that input.

2. What is the difference between discrete convolution sum and continuous convolution integral?

The main difference between discrete convolution sum and continuous convolution integral is that the former is used for discrete functions, while the latter is used for continuous functions. Discrete convolution sum involves summing the products of the input and response functions at specific time intervals, while continuous convolution integral involves integrating the product of the two functions over the entire domain.

3. How is discrete convolution sum used in signal processing?

Discrete convolution sum is widely used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals. It is used to filter out noise from a signal, extract specific frequency components, and perform other operations such as time shifting and frequency shifting. It is also used in image processing to apply filters and enhance images.

4. What are some applications of discrete convolution sum in real life?

Discrete convolution sum has numerous applications in real life, such as in audio and video processing, data compression, and communication systems. It is also used in medical imaging, radar and sonar systems, and speech and image recognition systems. Many electronic devices, such as smartphones and computers, use discrete convolution sum in their signal processing algorithms.

5. How is discrete convolution sum related to the Fourier transform?

Discrete convolution sum and the Fourier transform are closely related, as convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain. This means that the Fourier transform of the convolution of two functions is equal to the product of their individual Fourier transforms. This relationship is often used in signal processing to simplify calculations and speed up processing time.