1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with EM/Jackson problem

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    In Classical Electrodynamics - 2nd Ed., J.D. Jackson on page 50 there is a problem I need help with. Its problem 1.2 which states

I can't seem to get started on this one. Note that [tex]D(\alpha;x,y,z)[/tex] is the product of three Gaussian functions i.e.

[tex]D(\alpha;x,y,z)[/tex] = G(x)G(y)G(z)

The product UVW reminds me of a Jacobian but I'm not quite sure how. :tongue:

Any thoughts/solutions/answers? I want to know the answer more than I want to be walked through it with hints (I have hundreds of more problems to work through besides this one which I gave up on). Thanks.

Pete

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT:( :tongue2: )
    [tex] \iiint_{R^{3}} \lim_{\alpha\rightarrow 0} [D(\alpha;x,y,z)] \ dx \ dy \ dz [/tex]

[tex]=\iiint_{R^{3}} \lim_{\alpha\rightarrow 0} [D(\alpha;x-x',y-y',z-z')] \ d(x-x') \ d(y-y') \ d(z-z') =1 [/tex]

Now make the change of coordinates...

Daniel.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  4. Jan 29, 2005 #3

reilly

Science Advisor

Pete -- Think of a delta function as the inverse of a volume element, so if the volume at a point changes by dx dy dz -> dx dy dz/UVW, the delta function must transform as advertised.

More detail: as alpha-> zero, the Gaussian gets very narrow, and the transformation from (x,y,z) to (u,v,w) reduces to a constant one. So, the factor x*x + y*y + z*z in the original Gaussian, becomes, from dx=du/U, (u/U)**2 + (v/V)**2 + (w/W) **2. The rest is a bit of algebra.

All a delta function cares about is its own point -- the rest be damned.

Regards,
    R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook