Effect of Inhibitors on Enzyme Activity: Enzyme Lab Exam Help

• Thread starter cmantzioros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on the effect of inhibitors on enzyme activity, specifically the reaction of hydrogen peroxide and peroxidase. The use of hydroxylamine as an inhibitor and guaiacol as an indicator is mentioned. The participant is unsure about the expected absorbance values for different test tubes and asks for clarification. It is mentioned that tubes without enzyme or substrate will not have a reaction and remain clear.
cmantzioros
I'm studying for a lab exam tomorrow and I just want to make sure of some things.

One of the experiments was on the effect of inhibitors on enzyme activity. We were studying the reaction 2 H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) --> 2 H2O + O2. This reaction uses the enzyme peroxidase. Hydroxylamine (HONH2) is structurally similar to hydrogen peroxide so it competes with it for peroxidase's active site thereby preventing peroxidase from binding with hydrogen peroxide and inhibiting the reaction. But a high enough concentration of substrate with a constant concentration of inhibitor will reduce the inhibition. I used guaiacol as an indicator. It turns colourless to brown when it becomes oxidized and the intensity of the brown is proportional to the amount of oxygen produced. I was supposed to have a used a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance versus time but I ran out of time in the lab period... We had 10 test tubes:

1. water + guaiacol (indicator)
2. water + hydrogen peroxide (substrate)
3. water + guaiacol + hydroxylamine (inhibitor)
4. water + guaiacol + hydrogen peroxide
5. water + guaiacol + peroxidase (enzyme)
6-10. water + guaiacol + increasing volumes of hydrogen peroxide with each + constant volume of peroxidase + constant volume of hydroxlamine

This is what I think: for #6, there is no inhibitor therefore the absorbance should be high because oxygen will be evidently be produced. For #7-10, the increasing amount of substrate at constant amount of inhibitor should reduce inhibition and therefore absorbance should be lowest for 7 and highest for 10. Is this correct? However, for tubes 1-4, I don't know what the absorbance values would look like. Can anyone tell me this?

Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, the 1st 4 tubes have no enzyme so there would be no reaction...

I would assume the mixture would remain clear/colorless.

Ok, is the rest of what I said correct? And what about #5? The enzymes is there but there's nothing to bind to it. This would also remain clear right?

Well, you didn't mention tube #5, but yeah there is no substrate so there should also be no reaction in that tube.

1. What is an enzyme?

An enzyme is a type of protein that acts as a biological catalyst, meaning it speeds up chemical reactions in living organisms. Enzymes are essential for many biological processes, including digestion, metabolism, and DNA replication.

2. What is the purpose of an enzyme lab?

The purpose of an enzyme lab is to study the properties and functions of enzymes. This can include determining the optimal conditions for enzyme activity, investigating the effects of inhibitors on enzyme function, and identifying the specific enzyme responsible for a particular reaction.

3. How do you measure enzyme activity in a lab?

Enzyme activity can be measured by monitoring the rate of a chemical reaction catalyzed by the enzyme. This can be done by measuring the production or consumption of a substrate or product over time, or by using a spectrophotometer to measure changes in absorbance as the reaction progresses.

4. What factors can affect enzyme activity in a lab?

Enzyme activity can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pH, substrate concentration, and the presence of inhibitors or activators. Enzymes have an optimal temperature and pH range in which they function most effectively, and changes in these conditions can alter their activity.

5. How can enzyme lab results be analyzed and interpreted?

Enzyme lab results can be analyzed and interpreted by comparing the rate of reaction under different conditions, such as varying the temperature or pH, or by comparing the activity of different enzymes. Data can also be graphed to visualize the relationship between enzyme activity and various factors, and statistical analysis can be used to determine the significance of any differences observed.