Creating a Scatter Chart in Excel 2007

• Thread starter magma_saber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the chart is messed up because the x-coordinates are all identical. He needs to enter different numbers for the x-coordinates in order to get a different plot.
magma_saber

Homework Statement

Not sure if this is suppose to be posted here or not, but i need help with making a chart in excel 2007. I need to make a scatter chart.
The x value is 0.25.
The y values are 4.68E-19, 4.10E-19, 3.06E-19.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried making the chart but it gets all messed up and i get all confused. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm able to make an Excel scatter chart with those numbers. I put the numbers into two columns and three rows like this:

0.25 | 4.68e-29
---------------
0.25 | 4.10e-29
---------------
0.25 | 3.06e-29

Can you describe in what way is the chart messed up?

Okay, I think I can help with that.

Double-click on the y-axis of the chart. The "Format Axis" window should pop up.
Click the "Scale" tab in the Format Axis window.

I'm guessing the problem is either of two things:
1. The boxes under "Auto" are not checked. Check them all, then click "Okay"
or
2. The boxes under "Auto" are checked, but Excel has a problem auto-formatting with these small numbers. Enter the following numbers instead:
Minimum: 0
Maximum: 5e-29
Major Unit: 1e-29
Make sure the Auto boxes are checked for Minor Unit and for Value Axis Crosses At.
Click "Okay"

That should fix the problem. Go ahead and change the axis Maximum, Minimum, and Major Unit as you see fit.

If there are still problems, repost here and I'll think about it some more.

Good luck.

I don't get it. All x coordinates are identical, so what kind of plot do you expect?

I thought the problem was no numbers displayed along the y-axis (except for the zero). If the problem is something else, magma_saber will have to clarify.

Borek said:
I don't get it. All x coordinates are identical, so what kind of plot do you expect?

A scatter chart. The pairs would be in a vertical column similar to this:

Code:

x

+

CS

As far as I remember that's how it looked alike, imageshack is down so I can't check. But new picture posted by OP is just like that - three points in the vertical line. So it looks correct - so I don't understand where the problem is.

Last edited:
Borek said:
As far as I remember that's how it looked alike, imageshack is down so I can't check. But new picture posted by OP is just like that - three points in the vertical line. So it looks correct - so I don't understand where the problem is.

Oh, now I get your point!

I didn't know he had a picture posted the first time (I can't see them while I'm at work).

CS

I got a decent chart using these y-axis settings:

ExcelScatterChart_2008-09-23.gif

i finally got it to work. for some reason i can't get it to work with excel 2007. luckily office 2007 comes with the older version of office, so i got it to work with excel 2003.

1. What is a scatter chart in Excel 2007?

A scatter chart in Excel 2007 is a type of graph that shows the relationship between two variables. It uses dots, or markers, to represent data points on a horizontal and vertical axis, and can be used to identify correlations or patterns in the data.

2. How do I create a scatter chart in Excel 2007?

To create a scatter chart in Excel 2007, select the data points you want to include in the chart, then go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Scatter" in the "Charts" group. Choose the type of scatter chart you want, and the chart will be automatically generated.

3. Can I customize the appearance of a scatter chart in Excel 2007?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a scatter chart in Excel 2007 by right-clicking on the chart and selecting "Format Chart Area." From there, you can change the chart's colors, add titles and labels, and adjust the axes and gridlines.

4. How do I add a trendline to a scatter chart in Excel 2007?

To add a trendline to a scatter chart in Excel 2007, right-click on one of the data points and select "Add Trendline." Choose the type of trendline you want (linear, exponential, etc.), and the trendline will be added to the chart.

5. Can I add multiple data sets to a scatter chart in Excel 2007?

Yes, you can add multiple data sets to a scatter chart in Excel 2007 by selecting all the data points you want to include and following the same steps as creating a single data set scatter chart. Each data set will have a different color or marker to distinguish it from the others.