Need help with finding Center of Gravity with given radius and height

In summary, the problem involves finding the center of gravity of a bucket filled with water, given the radii of the bottom and top of the bucket, and its height. To solve the problem, one can use the formula for finding center of mass using integrals. However, the formula is not given in the problem, so one must create their own using cylindrical coordinates. The final answer is 18.8 cm.
yang09

Homework Statement

Caution: Ignore the weight of the bucket
itself.
The bottom and the top of a bucket have
radii rb = 15 cm and rt = 26 cm respectively.
The bucket is h = 36 cm high and filled with
water.
Where is the center of gravity relative to
the center of the bottom of the bucket?
Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

Xcm = (X1M1)/(M1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm enrolled in a Calculus Physics so I know that I should be using Calculus and not regular physics formula.
Do I have to integrate the problem, but the only problem is that no equation is given. That's where I am stuck at.
I don't want you to tell me how to do it, but can you give me a hint as where I should start off.

Physics news on Phys.org
The centre of gravity is going to be on the z axis, but you do not know how high above the point (0,0,0) it is. If you take this point to be the centre of the bottom of the bucket. Switch over to cylinderical co-ordinates and find [tex] \bar{z}\int dM=\int z dM [/tex]

I still don't get it. You say integrate the Mass, but you're not given any formula to integrate. You're only give points. If I was given a formula, I know how to integrate but your not given one to integrate. Do you make one up with the points?

I know how to find Center of gravity using integrals only when an equation is given.
I don't know how to find it without an equation.
How would I go about and integrate without an equation?

If you wanted to know the volume you would integrate

[tex] \int_0^h \pi (R_1+(R_2-R_1)\frac{z}{h})^2 dz [/tex]

if the mass is uniform you can extend this to the formula you were given earlier?

Doing that I get 18.8cm

Last edited:

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object is concentrated and where it will balance evenly in all directions.

2. How do you find the center of gravity?

To find the center of gravity for an object with a given radius and height, you can use the formula: CG = h/2 + r, where h is the height of the object and r is the radius. This formula assumes that the object has a uniform density. If the object has varying densities, you will need to use an integration method to find the center of gravity.

3. Why is it important to find the center of gravity?

Finding the center of gravity is important because it helps in determining the stability and balance of an object. This information is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics, as it can affect the safety and functionality of structures and machines.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the center of gravity?

There are many real-life applications of finding the center of gravity, such as designing stable structures, determining the weight distribution of vehicles, and creating stable and balanced packaging for products. It is also important in sports, such as balancing on a tightrope or performing acrobatic stunts.

5. Are there any tools or techniques to help find the center of gravity?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can aid in finding the center of gravity. Some examples include using a plumb line, a balance scale, or a computer program that uses mathematical equations to calculate the center of gravity. It is also possible to physically balance an object on a pivot point to determine its center of gravity.