Need help with finding magnitude

• Thread starter yang09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the displacement of a hurricane after it passes over an island. The solution provided uses a theta of 120.7 degrees instead of 59.3 degrees, leading to the same result. The conversation also includes a visual aid, a compass plot, to explain the orientation of angles in this scenario.
yang09

Homework Statement

The eye of a hurricane passes over Grand Bahama Island. It is moving in a direction 59.3◦ north of west with a speed of 38.9 km/h. Exactly 2.89 hours later, the course of the hurricane shifts due north, and its speed slows to 27.8 km/h, as shown.
How far from Grand Bahama is the hurricane 4.42 h after it passes over the island?

The problem is already solved and has the solutions to the problem. It is #3. But what I am not understanding is why they used 120.7 as their theta rather than 59.3

Homework Equations

Magnitude (D) = square root ( Dx^2 + Dy^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how they did the problem, but can you just explain to me why they used 120.7 as their theta and not 59.3. If they use 120.7 as their theta, wouldn't sin120.7 give you your x-component, not your y-component. And when using cos120.7, wouldn't that give you your y-component, not your x-component.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Attachments

• solution_pdf.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
try with theta = 59.3 and compare your answer with the one in the book. Angle simply depends on coordinates you use, magnitude of displacement is independent of this choice, at least it should be ;]

i did try it with theta = 59.3. i got a displacement of 139.4, which is wrong

check it again. If you put theta = 59.3 in equations for delta x and delta y in paper which you gave, then the answer for total displacement is the same as with theta = 120.7

Ya, you're right. I just used the wrong numbers. But thanks for the help

In a compass plot, the 0 degree point is the rightmost part of the plot. See attached:

http://people.rit.edu/pnveme/pigf/TwoDGraphics/twod_dir_compass.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is magnitude?

Magnitude is a measure of the brightness or intensity of an object or event. It is often used in astronomy and seismology to describe the brightness of stars or the strength of an earthquake.

2. How is magnitude measured?

Magnitude is typically measured on a logarithmic scale, meaning that each step up on the scale represents a tenfold increase in brightness or intensity. For example, an object with a magnitude of 5 is 10 times brighter than an object with a magnitude of 6.

3. What is the difference between apparent and absolute magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright an object appears to us on Earth, while absolute magnitude is a measure of how bright an object would appear if it were located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) from Earth.

4. Can magnitude be negative?

Yes, magnitude can be negative. Negative magnitudes indicate objects or events that are exceptionally bright or intense. For example, the sun has an apparent magnitude of -26.7.

5. What is the difference between magnitude and luminosity?

Magnitude is a measure of the amount of light or energy emitted by an object, while luminosity is a measure of the total energy output of an object, regardless of how much of that energy is visible to us. Luminosity takes into account all wavelengths of light, not just visible light.