Need help with finding the work done on an ideal gas and copper block

Pa, we get:W = -∫ (0.7*10^-6) * P * dP = -0.7 * 10^-6 * (1/2 * P^2) = -0.7 * 10^-6 * (1/2 * (5 * 1.01*10^5)^2 - (1.01*10^5)^2) = -42844 JoulesTherefore, your answer for part B was also correct!In summary, the work done on the ideal gas was -81276.6 Joules and the work done on the copper was -42844 Joules. I hope this helps clarify the equations and how to solve for the work
owlman76

Homework Statement

An Ideal gas and a block of copper have equal volumes V and at the same temperature T and atmosphere pressure P. The pressure on both substances is increased reversibly and isothermally to 5P.

a) Find the work done on the ideal gas if V = 0.5 m and T= 300 K P = 1.01*10^5 Pa

b) Find the work done on the copper using the definition of compressibility k= 0.7*10^-6. for copper

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
W= PdV
dW=PVBdT - PVkDP

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A) P1V1=P2V2=nRT SO W = PdV SO W = nRT/V dV SO W= P1V1 * ln(.1/.5) = -81276.6 Joules

I have no idea if that is correct

Part B) dW=PVBdT - PVkDP

Temp is constant so first part drops out so
dW = -PVkdP

My answer was W=-42844 Joules

Any help on solving these equations is awesome... I don't know if I got either part right or even close to. THANK YOU

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to provide some guidance on solving these equations and finding the correct solutions for both parts A and B.

Part A:

To find the work done on the ideal gas, we can use the equation W = PdV. However, we need to first find the change in volume (dV) in order to solve for the work done. We can do this by rearranging the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, to solve for V:

V = nRT/P

Now, we can plug in the given values for V, T, and P to find the initial volume (V1) of the gas:

V1 = (1 mol * 8.314 J/mol*K * 300 K) / (1.01*10^5 Pa) = 2.47*10^-2 m^3

The final volume (V2) can be found using the same equation, but with the new pressure (5P):

V2 = (1 mol * 8.314 J/mol*K * 300 K) / (5 * 1.01*10^5 Pa) = 4.94*10^-3 m^3

Now, we can plug these values into the equation W = PdV to find the work done:

W = (5 * 1.01*10^5 Pa) * (4.94*10^-3 m^3 - 2.47*10^-2 m^3) = -81276.6 Joules

Therefore, your answer for part A was correct!

Part B:

To find the work done on the copper, we can use the equation dW = -PVkdP. We need to solve for dW, so we can integrate this equation to find the total work done:

W = ∫ -PVkdP

To integrate this equation, we need to know the initial and final pressures (P1 and P2) and the compressibility (k) of copper. We can use the given value of k= 0.7*10^-6 to solve for dW:

dW = -∫ P * (0.7*10^-6) * dP

Integrating this equation from P1= 1.01*10^5 Pa to P2= 5 * 1.01*10^5

1. What is the formula for work done on an ideal gas?

The formula for work done on an ideal gas is W = PΔV, where W represents work, P is the pressure of the gas, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

2. How do you calculate work done on a copper block?

The formula for work done on a copper block is W = FΔx, where W represents work, F is the force applied to the block, and Δx is the displacement of the block.

3. Can the work done on an ideal gas be negative?

Yes, the work done on an ideal gas can be negative if the gas expands against a constant external pressure. In this case, the gas is doing work on its surroundings, resulting in a negative value for work done.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J). However, work can also be expressed in other units such as ergs or foot-pounds.

5. How does the work done on an ideal gas or copper block relate to energy?

The work done on an ideal gas or copper block is a measure of the energy transferred to or from the system. Work is a form of energy, and the work done on a system can change its internal energy or kinetic energy.