What Angle Does Force F Make Relative to AD in Physics Problem Solving?

In summary: What angle does AD make to the slope?F is at 90 degrees to the slope and AD is at 35 degrees to the slope. So what angle does F make to AD?F is at 90 degrees to the slope and AD is at 35 degrees to the slope. So what angle does F make to AD?isit Fsin35(12)? Yes.
cracktheegg

Homework Statement

Untitled_zpsa753d1c6.png

http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Duk_Bato/media/Untitled2_zps52bc2429.png.html

Homework Equations

M= F * d

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't solve the last part the iii)

My problem is roller only got one force and how to resolve it?

It may sound excuses but, it will be best it someone can explain and even provide me with the working, since i can't understand really well

Physics news on Phys.org
Please clike the link, photobucket got error so i could not get the image link

Untitled2_zps52bc2429.png

cracktheegg said:

Homework Statement

Untitled_zpsa753d1c6.png

http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Duk_Bato/media/Untitled2_zps52bc2429.png.html

Homework Equations

M= F * d

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't solve the last part the iii)

My problem is roller only got one force and how to resolve it?

It may sound excuses but, it will be best it someone can explain and even provide me with the working, since i can't understand really well

We can't work out the problem for you; that is against the rules.

However, for the reaction force at D, assume that it has two components, Dx and Dy. You can still write equations of static equilibrium using Dx and Dy and solve for them.

Dx= Fcos52
Dy= Fsin 52

?

Can anyone briefly tell me what need to be done to solve this question, I have been trying but still wrong

If I take A as the point where moment taken place and I separate D into force x and y and use the total moment= 0 can i solve?

SteamKing said:
We can't work out the problem for you; that is against the rules.

However, for the reaction force at D, assume that it has two components, Dx and Dy. You can still write equations of static equilibrium using Dx and Dy and solve for them.

If I take A as the point where moment taken place and I separate D into force x and y and use the total moment= 0 can i solve?

My moment equilibrium equation
Take A as moment:
5cos20(6)-5cos70(1)+2(cos20*8) - Fsin15(0.53) +F cos15 (0.55)=0

sin20*1.6=0.55
cos 2-*1.6=0.53

cracktheegg said:
My moment equilibrium equation
Take A as moment:
5cos20(6)-5cos70(1)+2(cos20*8) - Fsin15(0.53) +F cos15 (0.55)=0
A few problems there...
Check the signs. Draw the '5cos70' force. Which way does that act around A?
Resolving F first into horizontal and vertical and then into the 20 degree/70 degree system may be confusing. Perhaps simpler to skip the intermediate step and use 35/55 angles.
The parentheses are wrong in '2(cos20*8)'.
sin20*1.6=0.55
cos 2-*1.6=0.53
Haven't checked the numbers exactly, but I can see that can't be right. It makes cos 20 slightly less than sin 20; cos 20 must be significantly the larger.

thanks, T T but I really can't understand the force of roller

what is the angle i should use?and the distance?

Last edited:
cracktheegg said:
thanks, T T but I really can't understand the force of roller

what is the angle i should use?and the distance?
If you resolve the normal force, F, at the roller into a component along AD and a component perpendicular to it then only one of those will have a moment about A.
What angle does AD make to the slope?
So what then is the angle F makes to AD?

What angle does AD make to the slope? 35?
So what then is the angle F makes to AD? 20?

isit Fsin35(12)?

cracktheegg said:
What angle does AD make to the slope? 35?
Yes.
So what then is the angle F makes to AD? 20?
F is at 90 degrees to the slope and AD is at 35 degrees to the slope. So what angle does F make to AD?
isit Fsin35(12)?
Close, in a sense. Try that again.

1. What is force and moment?

Force and moment are two fundamental concepts in physics that describe the behavior of objects in motion. Force is a measure of the push or pull on an object, and moment is a measure of how that force causes an object to rotate.

2. How are force and moment related?

Force and moment are related through the concept of torque, which is the product of a force and its distance from the point of rotation. In other words, the larger the force applied at a greater distance from the point of rotation, the greater the moment or rotational force.

3. What are some real-world examples of force and moment?

Examples of force and moment can be found in many everyday situations, such as pushing a door open, lifting a weight, or turning a doorknob. In engineering and physics, force and moment are also important concepts in designing structures and machines.

4. How do you calculate force and moment?

Force can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, as described by Newton's Second Law of Motion. Moment can be calculated by multiplying force by distance, or by using the equation torque = force x distance.

5. How are force and moment important in understanding motion?

Force and moment are essential for understanding the motion of objects, as they help explain how and why objects move in certain ways. By understanding the forces and moments acting on an object, we can predict its motion and behavior in various scenarios.