1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with force/tension problems

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    if anyone could give any tips, advice, help, formulas etc., on the solving these problems, i woudl be eternally grateful.

at what distance from the earth will a spacecraft traveling directly from the earth to the moon experience zero net force because the earth and moon pull with equal and opposite forces?

Figaro the cat (5.0 kg) is hanging on the tablecloth, pulling Cleo's fishbowl (11 kg) toward the edge of the table. The coefficeint of kinetic friction between the tablecloth (ignore its mass) under the fishbowl and the table is 0.44. (a) what is the acceleration of Figaro and the fishbowl? (b) if the fishbowl is 0.90m from the edge of the table, how much time does it take for Figaro to pull Cleo off the table?

these are from the Giancoli physics book by the way, if that helps at all...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2
    1. Let the mass of the Earth be Me and moon is Mm, distance from earth is De and from moon is Dm, let the mass of the rocket be M,
    Both force are in equilibrium,
    (G*M*Me)/(De)^2 = (G*M*Mm)/(Dm)^2
    Me/(De)^2 = M*Mm/(Dm)^2
    Me/Mm = (De/Dm)^2
    Substitute the value or calculate the ratio from it.
  4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    I have to head to bed, but here is a similar one https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=197820

also, you posted this in classical physics, move it to homework section and you'll get more hits.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?