What Is the Best Fortran 77 IDE for Beginners?

• Fortran
  • Thread starter chris_0101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, an IDE is not really necessary, and you'll probably be better off using a command line compiler and a simple text editor.
chris_0101
Hi everybody,

I am currently enrolled in a course in university based on scientific programming in fortran 77. The issue that I have is that I cannot find a decent IDE for fortran. I have tried multiple other IDE's such as eclipse, netbeans (both requiring additional add-ons) and other stand alone IDE's such as Plato IDE with no luck. The closest thing that I got to a working IDE is microsoft powerstation 4.0 but when I run a program the compiler force closes with an error 0x0. So I am asking if anyone can suggest a Fortran 77 IDE that is easy to use for begginers or if anyone can provide instructions (or a link to an instructions page) to get one of the IDE's I mentioned to work.

Thank you for your help

chris_0101

Technology news on Phys.org
You said you'd tried Plato. Was that with the freeware "silverfrost ftn95 personal"? Did it not work or did you just not like it?

Yes that's the one. The funny thing about the Plato IDE is that it works, its just whenever I type in a sample, such as the hello world program, it says that there is an error with my coding, even though I copied it straight from the net. Something is not working as far as I know.

I've never noticed any problem with spurious errors. The only issue with the freeware "silverfrost" ftn95 is that it has a small "nag-ware" delay of about 8 seconds.

If you test it again perhaps you could post the error messages here and someone might be about to straighten them out for you. Code examples that you find on the internet are often just snippets and they won't always run "stand alone" (without some other code or definitions).

The code that I used is shown below:

program hello
print *, "Hello world!"
end program hello

When the compiler of Plato runs the program a red line highlights the second line of code, so I am assuming there is an issue.

I am also using Fortran 77, for a computational physics course. We mainly create our programs using vi. :grumpy:

So yes, if anyone can suggest a good Fortran IDE, that would be helpful.

chris_0101 said:
The code that I used is shown below:

program hello
print *, "Hello world!"
end program hello

When the compiler of Plato runs the program a red line highlights the second line of code, so I am assuming there is an issue.
You're just clicking the wrong button. The green button starts program in the debugger, so it's sitting at the first code-line of the program waiting for you to run or step etc. Use the blue button if you just want to run the program in a normal manner from within the IDE. Alternatively you could run the exe file directly from a command prompt, or by double clicking the exe file.

See attachment.

Attachments

• plato.jpg
    plato.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
chris_0101 said:
I am currently enrolled in a course in university based on scientific programming in fortran 77. The issue that I have is that I cannot find a decent IDE for fortran.

Why bother with an IDE at all? They're great for large programs, but for the small programs you'll be making in a single semester course, and even for the small to medium sized programs that make up most of scientific computing, I think the way to go is a command line compiler like gfortran and a simple text editor with syntax highlighting (and while vi and emacs are wonderful editors for those already experienced in using them, I wouldn't recommend them just for a course due to the learning curve).

Learning to compile and link in the terminal (or to create a basic makefile) and to use a command line debugger like GDB is fairly simple (not much harder than learning how to use the same features of an IDE), and they are something you'll probably use after you've completed the class if you ever have to write programs again, in any language, whereas you'll probably never use that particular Fortran-specific IDE again.

1. How do I install a Fortran 77 IDE?

The process for installing a Fortran 77 IDE can vary depending on the specific IDE you choose. However, most IDEs will have a simple installation wizard that will guide you through the process. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the IDE.

2. Do I need any additional software to use a Fortran 77 IDE?

Yes, you will need a Fortran compiler in order to use a Fortran 77 IDE. Some popular options include GNU Fortran (gfortran) and Intel Fortran (ifort). These compilers can be downloaded for free online.

3. Can I use a Fortran 77 IDE on any operating system?

Yes, there are Fortran 77 IDEs available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. However, the specific IDEs and compilers available may vary between operating systems, so make sure to do your research and choose an IDE that is compatible with your system.

4. Are there any tutorials or resources available for learning how to use a Fortran 77 IDE?

Yes, there are many online tutorials and resources available for learning how to use a Fortran 77 IDE. Some popular options include the Fortran Wiki and the Fortran Tutorial website. You can also find many helpful videos and forums on websites like YouTube and Stack Overflow.

5. Can I use a Fortran 77 IDE for modern Fortran versions?

It depends on the specific IDE you choose. Some IDEs may only support Fortran 77, while others may support newer versions such as Fortran 90 or Fortran 95. Make sure to check the features and compatibility of the IDE before choosing which one to use for your project.