1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Fourier transformation

1. Apr 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve Poisson's equation, [tex]\bigtriangledown^2 \psi(\vec{r}) = \frac{- \rho (\vec{r})}{\epsilon_0}[/tex], by the following sequence of operations:

a) Take the Fourier transform of both sides of this equation. Solve for the Fourier transform of [tex]\psi(\vec{r})[/tex].
    b) Carry out the inverse transform by using a three-dimensional analog of the convolution theorem.

2. Relevant equations
    Fourier transformation

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm working on part a. I understand how to do a Fourier transform, but not so much in 3D. This is my work, I just want to make sure that I've done part a correctly so that I can move on to part b.

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 \psi(\vec{r}) = \frac{- \rho (\vec{r})}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{-\vec{k}^2}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \psi(\vec{r}) e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} d\vec{r} = \frac{-1}{\epsilon_0 \sqrt{2\pi}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \rho (\vec{r}) e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} d\vec{r}[/tex]
    [tex]-\vec{k}^2 \Psi(\vec{k}) = \frac{-1}{\epsilon_0} P(\vec{k})[/tex]
    [tex] \Psi (\vec{k}) = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0 \vec{k}^2} P (\vec{k})[/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

seems ok.......
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?