1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with friction forces please!

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    Hi, I was giving a problem by my teacher that will most likely be on the exam. A block, m1, is ontop of another block, m2 and there is a constant friction, mu, between the two blocks. Between block m2 and the ground there is no friction. What is the largest force, P, that can be put on m2 and have m1 stay in its same position. I have F=m1a and F=m2a, F = (mu)N1 = (mu)m1g. It seems really easy but for some reason I am having trouble with it. Thanks

Edit: My exam is in an hour so I was typing fast without thinking.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

F is NOT N1!!
    It is the frictional force between m1 and m2!
    Hence, you must solve the system when F equals MAXIMAL STATIC FRICTION,
    F= (mu)N1.

4. Oct 18, 2004 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I also don't understand the P-F ? isn't the ground with block 2 frictionless?

5. Oct 18, 2004 #4
    Sorry, I was typing faster than I was thinking so I got a few things mixed up, I think it should be correct now.

6. Oct 18, 2004 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Ok draw a freebody diagram on each block,

On the block on the ground you have the contact force exerted by the block on top, and the force p, plus its weight.

On the block on the top, you got the friction force, plus the same magnitude for the contact force exerted by block on the ground, and its weight.

You know if the friction force of the block on the top is equal to the acceleration caused by the P force, then the block won't fall.

Try to solve from there.

7. Oct 18, 2004 #6
    So, is the following correct?

F = mu(m1g)

P=m2a
    F=m1a

I could then solve one for a, and get for example a = f/m1 and then plug that into P = m1a and get P = m2(mu(m1g))/m1 ? It doesn't really seem like a good answer, but thats all I can figure out.

8. Oct 18, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, you have:
    P-F=m2a (1)
    F=m1a (2)
    So, adding (1) and (2):
    P=(m1+m2)a(3)
    Since F is maximal static friction, we get a=(mu)g, or:
    P=(m1+m2)(mu)g

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?