1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Friction

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    Okay, here is the problem I am working on...

A block of a certain weight(w2) is sliding down an inclined plane at angle theta. There is a plank on top of the block with a certain weight (w2) that is attacked to a cord at the top of the plane so that it does not move.

I need to find the coefficient of kinetic friction in terms of the masses of each block and the angle theta. The coeffecient is the same between both surface contacts.

I am using Newton's 2nd law and I'm stuck with the friction. In my free body diagram I am not sure which direction the force of friction is going between the block and the plank nor how it affects both.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you're trying to figure out directions, hopefully you defined a coordinate system first. After you've done that, think about this: in what direction is the block trying to slide past the plank? Friction always opposes this motion Likewise for the block sliding down the inclined plane.
  4. Mar 15, 2005 #3
    Its better to say that Friction is a force that opposes sliding.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?