Need Help with Gamma Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the Gamma function, which is a generalization of the factorial function. It can be represented as an integral and extended by analytic continuation. The conversation also mentions using Euler's reflection formula to solve for certain values of the Gamma function, such as \Gamma(5/4) and \Gamma(0). However, \Gamma(0) is considered a complex infinity and cannot be solved using this method.
mjk1
I'am not sure how to solve this gamma function [tex]\Gamma[/tex](5/4). any help ?

sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Gamma function is the generalization of factoral. The simplest representation is an integral:

Gamma(x)=int(0,oo)tx-1e-tdt, for x>0.

It can be extended by analytic continuation.

yeah the original integral was [tex]\int[/tex][0,4]Y[tex]^{3/2}[/tex](16-Y[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{1/2}[/tex] dy

which i simplified to

64[tex]\int[/tex](0,1) t[tex]^{(5/4)-1}[/tex](1-t)[tex]^{(3/2)-1}[/tex] dt

using Gamma(x)=int(0,oo)tx-1e-tdt, =>> [tex]\beta[/tex](5/4, 3/2)hence i am trying to solve [tex]\beta[/tex](5/4, 3/2)
= [tex]\Gamma[/tex](5/4)[tex]\Gamma[/tex](3/2) / [tex]\Gamma[/tex]((5/2)+(3/2))

i am trying to solve this to get an answer in terms of a number.

i don't know how to solve [tex]\Gamma[/tex](5/4)

Last edited:
[tex]\Gamma\left(\frac{5}{4}\right) = \Gamma\left(1+\frac{1}{4}\right) = \frac{1}{4}\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)[/tex] has no known basic expression, but is known to be transcendental.

thanks for your help

I read that (1/q)! has no representation for integer q>2, except decimal form. But, if you are concerned with gamma(1/4), you can see it to 1,000,000 decimals at:

http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~frejohl/math/gamma14_1_000_000.txt

Working with Euler's reflection formula, I get

(1/4)!(3/4)! = [tex]\frac{3\pi\sqrt2}{16}=.833041[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
how about [tex]\Gamma[/tex](0) I read somewhere that its a complex infinity but don't understand what that means

mjk1: how about (0)

Well, when you have a form like[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^-x}{x} dx[/tex], you have trouble.

If you check out the Euler's reflection formula, we have

[tex]\Gamma(Z)\Gamma(1-Z) = \frac{\pi}{sin\pi(x)} for Z=0.[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a gamma function?

The gamma function, denoted by Γ(x), is a mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to non-integer values of x. It is defined as Γ(x) = (x-1)! and has many important applications in mathematics and physics.

2. How is the gamma function calculated?

The gamma function can be calculated using various methods, such as the Lanczos approximation, Stirling's approximation, or by using computer algorithms. The most commonly used method is the Lanczos approximation, which is a series expansion that provides accurate results for a wide range of values of x.

3. What are some common uses of the gamma function?

The gamma function has many important applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in probability theory for calculating the probability density function of the gamma distribution, in number theory for calculating the values of the Riemann zeta function, and in physics for solving problems related to quantum mechanics and wave functions.

4. Can the gamma function be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the gamma function can be extended to complex numbers. The gamma function is defined for all complex numbers except for the negative integers. The extension to complex numbers is useful in solving problems related to complex analysis and number theory.

5. Are there any special properties of the gamma function?

Yes, the gamma function has many special properties that make it a useful tool in mathematics and physics. Some of these properties include the functional equation Γ(x+1) = xΓ(x), the duplication formula Γ(2x) = 22x-1π1/2Γ(x)Γ(x+1/2), and the relationship with the beta function Γ(x)Γ(y) = Β(x,y).