1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with grad school selection

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    I am in the process of deciding where to attend graduate school for CMT. I have essentially narrowed it down to two schools.

Choice 1) pluses: top 10 overall, top in CM, lots of theorists
    minuses: midwest hell (I'm from the midwest, I desperately want to escape)

Choice 2) pluses: top 10 overall, top 10 in CM, excellent city, strong in spintronics
    minuses: stronger in exp, prospective adviser not yet tenured

So, my question is, would it be foolish to go to a school where I love the research/city over the "best school" for my field because of location? (Also, I have to keep in mind that there is only one group I'm really really excited about at choice 2 and it may not be there in a few years. Not that I'm expecting it to not be there, just considering worst case scenario)

Any advice or experiences in a similar situation would be very helpful. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You do realize there is a non-insignificant probability that your prospective advisor at Choice 2 will end up working at Choice 1. This is one of the pitfalls of factoring geography in.

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3
    I know that she completed her Phd at Choice 1. Does this make a difference?

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that I received a substantial fellowship offer from Choice 2 so location is not the only factor.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook