Solve Your Speeding Dilemma: Calculating Braking Time and Distance

• Thread starter sabresfan2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the minimum time required for a car to decelerate from 82 mi/hr to 55 mi/hr, given a braking acceleration of 14 ft/s2. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the problem and using relevant equations to find the solution.
sabresfan2000
The brakes on your automobile are capable of creating
acceleration of 14 ft/s2. If you are going 82 mi/hr and sud-
denly see a state trooper, what is the minimum time required to get your car to 55 mi/hr?

How far do you travel while returning to the legal speed limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to post where you're stuck at so we can provide the right direction. Just giving the answer won't help you in the long run.

i don't know how to start the problem.

You've been given acceleration, final velocity, and initial velocity, and are looking for time, right? Take a look at your equations of motion.

1. How do I know if a question is considered "hard"?

A question can be considered hard based on its level of difficulty, complexity, or the amount of knowledge and skills required to answer it. It can also be subjective, as what may be considered hard for one person may not be for another. If you are unsure, it is always best to ask for help.

2. How can I approach a hard question?

First, try breaking down the question into smaller parts and identify what exactly is being asked. Then, gather any relevant information or resources that may help you answer the question. If you are still struggling, consider reaching out for assistance from a teacher, tutor, or peer.

3. What if I don't know the answer to a hard question?

It is okay to not know the answer to a hard question. Instead of getting discouraged, use it as an opportunity to learn. Take note of the question and do some research or ask for clarification. It is important to not give up and keep trying.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for hard questions?

Practice and patience are key in improving problem-solving skills. Start by tackling easier questions and gradually work your way up to harder ones. Also, try different approaches and strategies to see what works best for you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, as they can also help in the learning process.

5. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed by a hard question?

If you feel overwhelmed, take a break and come back to the question later with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the question with a classmate or teacher for different insights. Remember to stay calm and trust in your abilities. You can do it!