1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Heat Engines

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    A 20% efficient real engine is used to speed up a train from rest to 5 m/s. It is known that an ideal (Carnot) engine using the same cold and hot reservoirs would accelerate the same train from rest to a speed of 6.5 m/s using the same amount of fuel. The engines use air at 300 K as a cold reservoir. Find the temperature of the steam serving as the hot reservoir.

I don't know how the velocity comes into play in order to get the temperature of the steam serving as the hot reservoir. I know that the formula for efficiency is
    [tex] e = \frac {W_{eng}} {|Q_{h}|} [/tex].
    Any help would be great! thx! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2
    can anyone help ?

4. Nov 7, 2004 #3
    I think I got it maybe...
    Since efficiency of a Carnot engine is
    [tex] e = 1 - \frac {T_{c}} {T_{h}} [/tex]
    and e = .2.
    So, we can reorder the formula to get,
    [tex] T_{h} = \frac {T_{c}} {1-e} [/tex]
    What I am confused about is then why do they give us the initial and final velocity of each engine?

5. Nov 7, 2004 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're wrong and have a misconception. The efficiency of a Carnot engine is not 0.2. Your problem states:

"A 20% efficient real engine is used to speed up a train from .."

A real engine is not a Carnot engine. That phrase also not mean the efficiency of the engine is the 20% of the carnot efficiency.

Let' see:

[tex] v_1=5m/s[/tex]
    [tex] v_2=6.5m/s[/tex]
    [tex] m=[/tex]mass of the train
    [tex] m_f=[/tex]mass of the fuel employed in combustion.
    [tex] L_i=[/tex] Caloric power or combustion enthalpy.

From this phrase: "It is known that an ideal (Carnot) engine using the same cold and hot reservoirs would accelerate the same train from rest to a speed of 6.5 m/s using the same amount of fuel. The engines use air at 300 K as a cold reservoir." one can write:

[tex]\eta_{carnot}=\frac{W}{Q_h}=1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}=\frac{1/2 m v_2^2}{m_f L_i}[/tex] because you need to produce a work equal to the kinetic energy needed, and the combustion heat is the fuel mass multiplied by the combustion enthalpy. So that we have the first equation:

[tex]1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}=\frac{1/2 m v_2^2}{m_f L_i} [/tex] (1);

From this phrase: "A 20% efficient real engine is used to speed up a train from rest to 5 m/s." one can write again:

[tex]\eta_{real engine}=0.2=\frac{W}{Q_h}=\frac{1/2 m v_1^2}{m_f L_i}[/tex] (2)

Dividing (1) and (2) we have:

[tex]\frac{1-\frac{T_c}{T_h}}{\eta_{real engine}}=\Big(\frac{v_2}{v_1}\Big)^2[/tex]

and solve for T_h.

You should know that going straightforward to the solution is not always the best way for solving a problem. They might be more difficult than we could think.

6. Nov 7, 2004 #5
    thx for the help!
    I did think about the problem first, but thats all I could think of. yea...I need to study more or something...I'm not fully understanding the material...
    anyways, thx for the help again! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?