Calculating Force of a Falling Book: Mass, Velocity, and Impact Time"

• Thread starter drod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the force of the book on the floor can be calculated by using Newton's second law in the impulse form. The velocity of the book before impact was 3m/s and after impact was 1m/s, with a change in velocity of 2m/s. The time it took for this change in velocity to happen was 0.3 seconds, and the mass of the book is given as 1.5kg. Using the formula F \cdot \Delta t = m \Delta v, we can solve for the force, which is equal to 10 Newtons.
drod
a book falls off a bookshelf and hits the floor. given this info calculate the force of the book on the floor.
mass of the book 1.5kg the book touched the floor for .3 sec. the velocity of the book the moment the book hit the floor 3m/s.
the velocity of the book when it bounced off the floor 1m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Newton's second law in the impulse form.

[tex]F \cdot \Delta t = m \Delta v[/tex]

Further explanation: This formula can be called the impulse equation. It says that a Force acting over some period of Time [tex]\Delta t[/tex] will create a change in momentum or velocity [tex]\Delta v[/tex].

Analyze the situation:
What is the change in the velocity of the book before and after impact?
How much time did it take for this change in velocity to happen?
Mass is given.

Can we then solve for force?

1. What is the best way to get help with my homework?

The best way to get help with your homework is to start by identifying what specific area or topic you need help with. Then, you can reach out to your teacher or classmates for assistance. You can also utilize online resources such as tutoring services or educational websites.

2. How do I know if I need help with my homework?

If you are struggling to understand the material or are consistently receiving low grades on homework assignments, it may be a sign that you need help. It is important to address any difficulties early on to prevent falling behind in your studies.

3. Can I get help with my homework for free?

Yes, there are many free resources available for students who need help with their homework. Your school may offer tutoring services or you can search online for educational websites that provide free tutorials and study guides.

4. How do I ask for help with my homework?

When asking for help with your homework, it is important to be specific about what you need assistance with. This will make it easier for others to understand and provide you with the necessary help. It is also important to be polite and respectful when asking for help.

5. Is it okay to get help with my homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to get help with your homework. Seeking assistance when needed can improve your understanding of the material and help you achieve better grades. Just make sure to always give credit to the sources or individuals who helped you.