Solve for Acceleration: 10 kg vs 30 kg Object Collision in Science Homework

• Thread starter RachelR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in science work involving two objects with different masses and an unknown acceleration. The participants are unsure of which formula to use and are seeking clarification on the given information. There is confusion regarding the units and whether the problem relates to conservation of momentum or not. The question is also unclear and more information is needed to solve it accurately.
RachelR
We are lost, trying to help daughter with science work. "If a 10 kg object collides with a 30 kg object and the 10 kg one accelerates at the rate of 60m/s, what was the acceleration of the 30 kg object?"
?? We arent sure what to do, what formula to use, if its f=mass X acceleration or what... is it 10 kg x 60 m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
RachelR said:
We are lost, trying to help daughter with science work. "If a 10 kg object collides with a 30 kg object and the 10 kg one accelerates at the rate of 60m/s, what was the acceleration of the 30 kg object?"
?? We arent sure what to do, what formula to use, if its f=mass X acceleration or what... is it 10 kg x 60 m/s?
Welcome to the forums.

To be honest, stated like this the question does not make sense.
First, an acceleration is in meter per second squared, so the 60m/s number you are giving either has the wrong units or it is a speed, not an acceleration.

This sounds much more like a problem of conservation of momentum but there is not information supplied to even start answering the question. Do the objects stick together or do they rebound?

Is it possible to write down the question exactly as it was formulated?

I can help clarify the concept of acceleration and provide you with a solution to this problem. Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. In this case, we can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

In this problem, we know the mass of the objects and the acceleration of one of them. We can use this information to solve for the acceleration of the other object. Since we are given the final velocity of the 10 kg object, we can assume that it was initially at rest (vi = 0). Thus, the equation becomes a = vf/t. We also know that the final velocity of the 30 kg object will be the same as the initial velocity of the 10 kg object (vf = vi). Therefore, the acceleration of the 30 kg object can be calculated as a = (60 m/s)/t.

To find the value of t, we need to use the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. In this case, the initial momentum of the system (before the collision) is 0, and the final momentum (after the collision) will be the sum of the momentums of the two objects. This can be expressed as (m1 x v1) + (m2 x v2) = (m1 x vf) + (m2 x vf). Substituting the known values, we get (10 kg x 0 m/s) + (30 kg x 0 m/s) = (10 kg x 60 m/s) + (30 kg x vf). Solving for vf, we get vf = 20 m/s.

Now, we can substitute this value of vf into the equation for acceleration to get a = (20 m/s)/t. Since we do not have the value of t, we cannot calculate the exact acceleration of the 30 kg object. However, we can say that it will be 1/3rd of the acceleration of the 10 kg object, as the mass of the 30 kg object is three times that of the 10 kg object (a = (1/3) x 60 m/s =

What is the best way to get help with homework?

The best way to get help with homework is to first determine what type of help you need. Are you struggling with understanding the material, or do you need help with organization and time management? Once you have identified your specific needs, you can seek help from a tutor, teacher, or classmate.

Is it okay to ask for help with homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with homework. In fact, seeking help can often lead to a better understanding of the material and improved grades. It's important to remember that asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a proactive approach to learning.

Where can I find reliable sources for my homework?

There are many reliable sources for homework, including textbooks, academic journals, and reputable websites. It's important to evaluate the credibility of your sources by considering the author's credentials, the date of publication, and any potential biases. Your school or local library can also be a great resource for finding reliable sources.

How can I manage my time better to complete my homework?

To manage your time better for homework, it's important to create a schedule and stick to it. This can involve setting aside specific blocks of time for each subject, breaking larger assignments into smaller tasks, and avoiding distractions such as social media or television. Additionally, it's important to prioritize your assignments based on due dates and difficulty level.

What should I do if I am struggling with my homework?

If you are struggling with your homework, the first step is to reach out for help. This can include talking to your teacher, seeking assistance from a tutor, or asking a classmate for clarification. It's also important to take breaks when needed and to not get discouraged. Remember that making mistakes and struggling is a natural part of the learning process.