1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help with Homework

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    I am in no way trying to ask you to do this problem for me, i just need a little guidance, like where do i start and i feel like i should be able to figure out the rest. My textbook uses examples but when i the questions come up it looks completely different so i don't know where to start.

A mountain-climbing expedition establishes two intermediate camps, labeled A and B in the drawing, above the base camp. What is the magnitude r of the displacement between camp A and camp B?

ch03p_03.gif

My thoughts about the question were (its hard to explain except on paper but ill try to show you what i thought to do): Displacement = (triangle)R = r - r(sub 0). I assumed that the distance from camp A and B is 8400 ( (Base Camp to camp B) - (Base Camp to Camp A). Then i made a line from the bottom point of the line under camp A diagonally up to camp B and that is the r(sub 0) line. I used a^2+b^2=c^2 to find out that r(sub 0) is 9724.71 and then i used 3200m as r and i did r - r(sub 0) = 6524.71 meters. But i have not clue if i did any of that right?? If you could let me know i would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is basically pythagoras' theorem. You have found the horizontal distance between the camps to be 8400m. The difference in height between the two will be the other side then r will be the hypotenuse which you can work out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?