1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with homework

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    A 150-kg merry go round in the shape of a horizontal disk with a radius of 1.50m is set in motion by wrapping a rope about the rim of the disk and pulling on the rope. What constant force would have to be exerted on the rope to bring the merry-go-round from rest to an angular speed of .500 rev/s in 2.00s.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2
    hint:
    what is the inertia of a disk?
    what angular acceleration is required to bring the m-g-r to that speed in that given time?
    Use newton's second law relating Torque to inertia and angular acceleration.
    Use rotational kinematics equations to solve for angular acceleration and speed ( don't forget to convert the rev/s to radians/s before using these equations... you'll have to convert back to rev/s once you get the answer)

Show any work you've gotten so far and we'll add assistance.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  4. Jan 18, 2005 #3
    well i really have no clue how to do this problem. My physics teacher genius is a but he does not know how to teach. Could someone please show me how to do it?

5. Jan 18, 2005 #4
    MathStudent just told you exactly what you have to do. It's up to you to do it. Give it a try and see how it goes. If you still can't figure it out, then come back and show us what you did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?