Calculating Electric Flux and Field: Flat Sheet and Solid Sphere Examples

• Thread starter gmuniz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the first conversation discusses a flat sheet with sides of 0.400m and 0.600m immersed in a uniform electric field of 71.0 N/C at an angle of 20 degrees from the plane of the sheet. The magnitude of the electric flux through the sheet is calculated using the formula phi = E*A*cos(20 deg). In the second conversation, a solid sphere with a radius of 0.460m and a net charge of 0.300nC is discussed. The magnitude of the electric field at a point 0.103m outside the surface of the sphere is calculated using the formula E = (1/4*pi*epsilon_0)*(q/r^2).
gmuniz
#! A flat sheet is in the shape of a rectangle with sides of length 0.400m and0.600m. the sheet is immersed in a uniform electric field 71.0 N/C that is directed at 20 deg. from the plane of the sheet. Find the magnitude of the electric flux through the sheet?
A = L*W= 0.600m*.400.
E = 71 N/C
angle = 20 deg
phi = E*A*cos(20 deg)
I don't know where i am making my mistake?
#2 a solid sphere with radius 0.460.m carries a net charge of 0.300nC. Find the magnitude of the electric field at a point 0.103 m outside the surface of the sphere?
A =4*pi*r^2= 4*pi*(0.460)^2
E =(1/4*pi*epsilon_0)*(q/r^2)= (1/(4*pi*epsilon_0))((.300*10^-9)/(0.103^2)) PHI=E*A where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
gmuniz said:
#! A flat sheet is in the shape of a rectangle with sides of length 0.400m and0.600m. the sheet is immersed in a uniform electric field 71.0 N/C that is directed at 20 deg. from the plane of the sheet. Find the magnitude of the electric flux through the sheet?
A = L*W= 0.600m*.400.
E = 71 N/C
angle = 20 deg
phi = E*A*cos(20 deg)
I don't know where i am making my mistake?
You need the angle that the field makes with the normal to the plane, which is 90-20 = 70 degrees.
#2 a solid sphere with radius 0.460.m carries a net charge of 0.300nC. Find the magnitude of the electric field at a point 0.103 m outside the surface of the sphere?
A =4*pi*r^2= 4*pi*(0.460)^2
E =(1/4*pi*epsilon_0)*(q/r^2) = (1/(4*pi*epsilon_0))((.300*10^-9)/(0.103^2)) PHI=E*A where is my mistake?
That formula is for the field from a point source (or a spherically symmetric charge distribution); the distance is measured from the center of the sphere, not the surface. That's all you need. (Assume the charge is distributed uniformly.)

Firstly, in the calculation for electric flux through the flat sheet, the angle should be converted to radians before using it in the cosine function. So, it should be cos(20 deg) = cos(20*pi/180) = 0.9397. Also, the units for electric flux are N*m^2/C, so the final answer should be multiplied by the unit conversion factor of 1/C to get the correct unit.

For the solid sphere, the calculation for electric field is correct. However, the electric flux should be calculated as phi = E*A*cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector to the surface of the sphere. In this case, theta = 90 degrees, so cos(theta) = 0. Therefore, the electric flux is zero at this point. This makes sense because the electric field of a point charge at a point outside its surface is zero.

1. What is the best way to ask for help with homework?

The best way to ask for help with homework is to be specific about what you need help with and provide any relevant information or materials. It is also helpful to ask for help as early as possible, rather than waiting until the last minute.

2. Can I get help with any subject or topic?

Yes, you can get help with any subject or topic. There are many online resources, tutors, and study groups available to assist with homework in a variety of subjects. It may also be helpful to ask your teacher or professor for additional resources or clarification.

3. Is it okay to get help with homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to get help with homework. Seeking assistance can help you better understand the material and improve your performance in class. It is important to make sure you are still completing the work yourself and not just copying someone else's answers.

4. How can I make sure I am not cheating when getting help with homework?

To ensure you are not cheating when getting help with homework, it is important to actively participate in the process. This means asking questions, attempting the problems or questions on your own first, and understanding the solutions. It is also important to be honest and not copy someone else's work.

5. Is there a limit to how much help I can ask for with homework?

There is no set limit to how much help you can ask for with homework. However, it is important to balance seeking assistance with taking responsibility for your own learning. It is also important to make sure you are not relying too heavily on outside help and are actively trying to understand the material on your own.