How to Prove Vector Calculus Identity Involving Cross Product and Gradient?

In summary, the given conversation is about proving the expression (\vec{r}\times\nabla)\cdot(\vec{r}\times\nabla)=r^2\nabla^2-r^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}-2r\frac{\partial}{\partial r}. The equation is solved by using the properties (\hat{e_i}\times\hat{e_j})=\epsilon_{ijk} and (\hat{e_i}\cdot\hat{e_j})=\delta_{ij}, and rearranging the terms to eventually reach a point where the gradient operator is applied to all terms. However, one of the equations used is incorrect and should be (\hat{
lylos

Homework Statement

Prove the following:
[tex](\vec{r}\times\nabla)\cdot(\vec{r}\times\nabla)=r^2\nabla^2-r^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}-2r\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex](\hat{e_i}\times\hat{e_j})=\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex]
[tex](\hat{e_i}\cdot\hat{e_j})=\delta_{ij}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](r_i\nabla_j\epsilon_{ijk}r_l\nabla_m\epsilon_{lmn})(\hat{e_k}\cdot\hat{e_n})[/tex]
[tex](r_i\nabla_j\epsilon_{ijk}r_l\nabla_m\epsilon_{lmn}\delta_{kn})[/tex]
[tex](r_i\nabla_j\epsilon_{ijk}r_l\nabla_m\epsilon_{lmk})[/tex]
[tex](r_i\nabla_jr_l\nabla_m)(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})[/tex]
[tex](r_i\nabla_jr_i\nabla_j)-(r_i\nabla_ir_j\nabla_j)[/tex]

At this point, I'm lost. Does the gradient operator work on all terms, should I rearrange?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of your equations is wrong,
[tex]
(\hat{e_i}\times\hat{e_j})=\epsilon_{ijk}\hat{e}_{k}
[/tex]
I personally would write:
[tex]
\mathbf{r}=x_{i}\hat{e}_{i},\quad\nabla =\hat{e}_{i}\partial_{i}
[/tex]
Hopefully this should help.

Mat

1. What is index notation?

Index notation is a way of representing mathematical expressions using indices or exponents. It is commonly used in algebra and calculus to simplify and condense expressions.

2. How is index notation used?

In index notation, each term in an expression is represented by a base number and an exponent. The base number indicates what number is being multiplied, while the exponent represents the number of times the base number is being multiplied by itself.

3. What are the benefits of using index notation?

Index notation allows for simplification and easier manipulation of mathematical expressions. It also helps to condense long expressions and make them easier to read and understand.

4. Can I use index notation for any type of mathematical expression?

Index notation is commonly used for algebraic expressions, but it can also be used for other types of mathematical expressions, such as trigonometric functions and logarithms.

5. Are there any rules or conventions for using index notation?

Yes, there are several rules and conventions for using index notation, such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. It is important to follow these rules to ensure the accuracy of your calculations.