Effortlessly Integrate Integral In(x^2-x+2)dx with Proven Techniques

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function In(x^2-x+2)dx using the integration by parts method. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to integrate x/(x^2-x+2) by using substitution and factoring techniques.
Song
Integral In(x^2-x+2)dx

First I use the intergration by parts, let u=In(x^2-x+2), du=(2x-1)dx/(x^2-x+2), dv=dx, v=x. Then it equals to xIn(x^2-x+2)-integral (x(2x-1))/(x^2-x+2) dx
Then by using long division I get integral (2+(x-4)/(x^2-x+2))dx..but at the end I have no idea how to integral x/(x^2-x+2)...please help with this and thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does In(x^2-x+2)dx mean?
Is it ( 1/(x^2 -x +2) )dx ?

ln...my bad...

To integrate x/(x^2-x+2), first use substitution to turn this into the integral of C/(x^2-x+2) (ie, write the numerator as 1/2 (2x-1) + 1/2 and take u as the denominator), then factor the numerator as (ax+b)^2+c^2, and finally use the fact that the integral of 1/(x^2+1) is arctan(x).

sorry, I don't get how "To integrate x/(x^2-x+2), first use substitution to turn this into the integral of C/(x^2-x+2) (ie, write the numerator as 1/2 (2x-1) + 1/2 and take u as the denominator)" works...

Do you mean let x=(1/2)(2x-1)+1/2, then it will be 1/2 integral 2x/(x^2-x+2) dx, then use U substitution u=x^2 then it becomes integral (u-sqrtu+2)^(-1) du?

I'm lost...

Yes, sorry, that wasn't very clear. I meant, write:

[tex]\int \frac{x}{x^2-x+2} dx = \int \frac{1/2(2x-1) +1/2}{x^2-x+2} dx=\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{2x-1}{x^2-x+2} dx + \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{x^2-x+2} dx[/tex]

The first term can be integrated by substitution, so you're left with the second term to integrate. That's what I meant by "turn it into the integral of C/(x^2-x+2)". Do you understand what to do from here?

yes. Thanks so much!

1. What is the integral of x^2-x+2?

The integral of x^2-x+2 is (1/3)x^3 - (1/2)x^2 + 2x + C, where C is a constant.

2. What are the proven techniques for integrating x^2-x+2?

There are several techniques that can be used to integrate x^2-x+2, including the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts.

3. Can the integral of x^2-x+2 be solved effortlessly?

It depends on the individual's understanding and familiarity with integration techniques. With enough practice and understanding, it is possible to solve the integral effortlessly.

4. How can I effectively integrate x^2-x+2?

One effective technique is to first rewrite the expression as (x^2 - x + 1) + 1, then use the power rule and the constant multiple rule to integrate each term separately.

5. Why is it important to integrate x^2-x+2?

Integrating x^2-x+2 allows us to find the area under the curve of the function, which has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.