Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Julia sets

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    I need someone to help explain to me in simple terms how Julia sets work. I understand how the equations governing the Mandelbrot set work, but am finding Julia sets to be a little more complex and difficult to understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Actually, finding Julia sets requires exactly the same computation as the Mandlebrot set.

Both involve the iteration [itex]z_{n+1}= z_n^2+ c[/itex]. With the Julia sets you are given a fixed "c" (and we refer to the Julia sets as "Jc") and the Julia set consists of all [itex]z_0[/itex] such that that iteration converges. The Mandlebrot set consists of all c such that the iteration with [itex]z_0= 0[/itex] converges. (Some texts say "the iteration with [itex]z_0= c[/itex]". Of course, if you start with [itex]z= 0[/itex] you immediately get [itex]z_1= c[/itex] so the convergence is the same either way.)

If I wanted to draw the Julia set, Jc, I would set up a double loop to step through every possible z0= x+iy and check each to see if the sequence converges. If I wanted to draw the Mandlebrot set, I would set up a double loop to step through every possible c= x+ iy and check to see if the sequence starting with z0= 0 converges.

The Mandlebrot set, by the way, "indexes" the Julia sets. If c is a complex number well within the Mandlebrot set, then Jc will be a single "blob" with boundary less complicated the deeper inside it is (If c= 0, J0 is simply a disk). If c is near the boundary of the Mandlebrot set, Jc will be a single connected set with a fractal boundary. If c is just outside the boundary of the Mandlebrot set, Jc is a number of disjoint piecess. If c is far outside the boundary of the Mandlebrot set, Jc is a "dust".

Also, while Mandlebrot worked for IBM, Gaston Julia lived around the beginning of the 19 th century and did all computations by hand!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook