1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Kinematics

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    A rocket initially at rest accelerates with constant net acceleration B from t = 0 to t = T1 at which time the fuel is exhausted. Neglect air resistance. If the rocket's net acceleration, B, is equal to 1.0g, find an expression for the total time [itex] T_{max} [/itex] (from liftoff until it hits the ground).

So [tex] T_{max} = T_{1} + t [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}BT_{1}^{2} + BT_{1}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} = 0 [/tex]

I know that [tex] t = \frac{BT_{1}}{g} [/tex]

What do I do from here? I got [tex] T_{max} = 2T_{1} = 2 t [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Looks okay, since, when the rocket is left without any fuel, its motion is a free fall with y(t) = yo + vo t - 1/2 g t^2, where yo is the well-known height yo = y(T1) = 1/2 B T1^2 = 1/2 g T1^2, and v0 = BT1. You're on the right track. Now just solve for t, and plug it into Tmax = T1 + t.
  4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    So is the equation [tex] \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} + gt^{2} - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} [/tex]?
  5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

The equation is [tex] \frac{1}{2}gT_{1}^{2} + gT_{1}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} = 0 [/tex], as you already wrote. Now solve for t.
  6. Nov 13, 2006 #5
    If [tex] B = g [/tex] how do we get [tex] t^{2} - 2T_{1}t - T_{1}^{2} = 0 [/tex]?

I factored the equation: [tex] g(\frac{1}{2}T_{1}^{2} + T_{1}t - \frac{1}{2}t^{2}) = 0 [/tex]. I guess they used the relation that [tex] t = T_{1} [/tex] and multiplied both sides by 2?
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  7. Nov 13, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

Again, solve the equation (i.e. find the roots of the parabola) [tex] \frac{1}{2}gT_{1}^{2} + gT_{1}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} = 0 [/tex] for t. It is the only unknown.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?