Find the Limit of a Challenging Problem: (5h/h(sqrt(25+5h)+5) as h approaches 0

• Thread starter tcc88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, The problem is finding the limit of (5h/h(sqrt(25+5h)+5) as h approaches 0. The suggested steps are to cancel out the h in the numerator and denominator and to distribute the h in the denominator to everything else in the denominator.
tcc88
Can someone help me find the limit of (5h/h(sqrt(25+5h)+5) as h approaches 0? I have tried everything and I can't seem to get an answer [Which is 1/2] other than 0...

Physics news on Phys.org
tcc88 said:
Can someone help me find the limit of (5h/h(sqrt(25+5h)+5) as h approaches 0? I have tried everything and I can't seem to get an answer [Which is 1/2] other than 0...

What kind of work have you done thus far? Show me some of your steps and we can help you understand where your error lies.

$$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{5h}{h\sqrt{25+5h}+5}$$

Is this the problem you are referring to?

Last edited:
footballguy51 said:
What kind of work have you done thus far? Show me some of your steps and we can help you understand where your error lies.

$$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{5h}{h\sqrt{25+5h}+5}$$

Is this the problem you are referring to?

Yea, except with quotations separating the h from everything. I am assuming you either have to distribute the h OR multiple the limit by the conjugation.

Or before that cancel out the h on the bottom...

Okay, so the problem is $$\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{5h}{h(\sqrt{25+5h}+5)}.$$

In that case, this problem isn't too bad. The ##h## in the denominator is multiplied to everything else in the denominator, and so you can cancel it with the ##h## in the numerator. This should help. If I still have the problem wrong, please let me know.

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical question that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the input variable approaches a specific value. It is used to understand the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How do you solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, and rationalization. You can also use L'Hopital's rule, which states that the limit of a quotient of two functions is equal to the limit of their derivatives.

3. What is the significance of limits in mathematics?

Limits are essential in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their graphs. They are also used in calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in many scientific fields.

4. Can you give an example of a limit problem?

One example of a limit problem is finding the limit of the function f(x) = (x^2 - 4)/(x - 2) as x approaches 2. This can be solved by factoring the numerator and simplifying the expression to get f(x) = x + 2. Therefore, the limit as x approaches 2 is equal to 4.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving limit problems?

Some common mistakes when solving limit problems include forgetting to check for removable discontinuities, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and not considering the left and right limits separately. It is essential to be careful and thorough when solving limit problems to avoid these mistakes.