Understanding Limits: Exploring the Product of Two Limits x→a (f(x)×g(x))

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: I believe there was only one zero in your post - that zero was the one you apparently don't see as the problem.
negation

Homework Statement

Suppose the lim x-> a f(x) = + infinity and lim x->a g(x) = 0

then why would lim x→a (f(x)×g(x)) be insufficient to tell us anything about the product of 2 limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the product of ##\infty \times 0## is not defined.

Write ##g(x)f(x)=\frac{g(x)}{\frac{1}{f(x)}}## and now calculate the limit.

negation said:

Homework Statement

then why would lim x→a (f(x)×g(x)) be insufficient to tell us anything about the product of 2 limit?

Show your work. Where are you stuck?

negation said:

Homework Statement

Look at these two examples taking ##a=0## so ##x\rightarrow 0^+##:

##f(x) = \frac 1 x \rightarrow \infty,~g(x) = x^2\rightarrow 0##. Here ##f(x)g(x) = x\rightarrow 0##

Now take ##f(x) = \frac 1 {x^2}\rightarrow \infty,~g(x) = x\rightarrow 0##. Here ##f(x)g(x)= \frac 1 x\rightarrow \infty##.

So you having ##f\to\infty,~g\to 0## isn't sufficient to tell us anything about ##fg##.

Last edited:
And to complete what LCKurtz said, for a any non-zero number,
If [itex]f(x)= \frac{a}{x}[/itex] and [itex]g(x)= x[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)g(x)= a[/itex]

So that, in fact, there are examples giving every possible result!

LCKurtz said:
Look at these two examples taking ##a=0## so ##x\rightarrow 0^+##:

##f(x) = \frac 1 x \rightarrow \infty,~g(x) = x^2\rightarrow 0##. Here ##f(x)g(x) = x\rightarrow 0##

Now take ##f(x) = \frac 1 {x^2}\rightarrow \infty,~g(x) = x\rightarrow 0##. Here ##f(x)g(x)= \frac 1 x\rightarrow \infty##.

So you having ##f\to\infty,~g\to 0## isn't sufficient to tell us anything about ##fg##.

This is tough to grasp or maybe I'm missing some intermediate steps.

By the basic limit law of multiplication:

lim x->a f(x) and lim x->a g(x)
then lim x->a f(x) . lim x->a g(x) = lim x->a f(x) .g(x)

so f(x) -> infinity and g(x) -> f(x).g(x) = 0

negation said:
This is tough to grasp or maybe I'm missing some intermediate steps.

By the basic limit law of multiplication:

lim x->a f(x) and lim x->a g(x)
Equal what?

From post #1, ##lim_{x \to a} f(x) = \infty## and ##lim_{x \to a} g(x) = 0##.
negation said:
then lim x->a f(x) . lim x->a g(x) = lim x->a f(x) .g(x)
The property you are citing, about the multiplication of limits, requires that both limits exist. That means that each limit has to be a finite number. So your first limit does not exist.
negation said:
so f(x) -> infinity and g(x) -> f(x).g(x) = 0
No.
There are already several examples in this thread that show that this is not a valid conclusion.

HallsofIvy said:
And to complete what LCKurtz said, for a any non-zero number,
If [itex]f(x)= \frac{a}{x}[/itex] and [itex]g(x)= x[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} f(x)g(x)= a[/itex]

So that, in fact, there are examples giving every possible result!
Why complicate things by mixing up a and zero?

oay said:
I don't know what you mean by this. Mixing up "a" and what "zero"?

oay said:
HallsOfIvy is making the point that an [∞ * 0] indeterminate form can turn out to be any number.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know what you mean by this. Mixing up "a" and what "zero"?
I believe there was only one zero in your post - that zero was the one you apparently don't see as the problem.

The OP's question was to do with the limit as [itex]x[/itex] tended to [itex]a[/itex]. Your comment was to do with [itex]x[/itex] tending to [itex]0[/itex] with an [itex]a[/itex] in the expression - a very different [itex]a[/itex]!

It may be considered to be a small pedantic point, but I think it's very important and to my mind you added unnecessary confusion. Perhaps your mind was swayed by LCKurtz's example of [itex]a[/itex] being [itex]0[/itex].

Mark44 said:
HallsOfIvy is making the point that an [∞ * 0] indeterminate form can turn out to be any number.
Thanks, I was aware of that. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What are limits in calculus?

Limits in calculus refer to the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to study the behavior of a function near a given point.

2. Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. They also play a crucial role in the definition of derivatives and integrals.

3. How do I evaluate limits?

To evaluate a limit, you can use direct substitution, factoring, or algebraic manipulation. You can also use graphical methods or L'Hopital's rule in certain cases. Practice and identifying the type of limit will help you develop your limit-evaluating skills.

4. What are the common types of limits?

The common types of limits include limits at a point, limits at infinity, one-sided limits, and limits involving trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving difficult limits?

Yes, there are some special techniques such as using trigonometric identities, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, and using substitution or squeeze theorem. It is important to understand the properties of limits and practice solving various types of limits to develop your problem-solving skills.