Need help with Linear Combinations

In summary, the speaker is struggling in their geometry and discrete mathematics course and is asking for help from others in the class. They have two specific homework questions and are wondering how to determine if two vectors are perpendicular and how to express a given vector in terms of other vectors. They are open to receiving guidance and assistance with their homework.
ehjay01
Hey all,
im taking geometry and discrete mathematics at my school. Its a 12 U course. And I am not doing as well as i would like in it. I am at about a 75, annd i want that to be around 85. So I am looking to you guys for some help. If you guys wouldn't mind awnsering a few questions i have from my homework each night it would be greatly appreciated. The homework doesn't have to be handed in or anything just to improve my knowledge. Thanks.

Homework Statement

11) demonstrate that the three vectors u=(1,3,2) v=(1,-1,1) and w=(5,-1,4) are mutally perpindicular.

12) if vector u=(5,-5,2) vector v=(1,8,-4) and vector w=(-2,-1,2) express vector x=(-3,6,8) in terms of vectors u v and w.

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
11) How do you know whether two vectors are perpendicular to one another?

12) How would you attack a problem like this in general? In other words, what are the relevant equations?

I am not being mean here. You would not learn much if I simply told you the answers. Show us some work and we will help you get past trouble spots.

11) dot product=0, can i take the first two vectors and use the dot product to see if they are perpindicular, then the second two?
12)my book is at my friends ill edit this when i get it.

Last edited:

1. What exactly are linear combinations?

Linear combinations refer to a mathematical operation in which two or more vectors are multiplied by constants and then added together. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to solve systems of equations and perform transformations.

2. How do linear combinations relate to real-life situations?

Linear combinations can be used to model real-life situations, such as calculating the total cost of a shopping trip with various items and prices, or determining the optimal mix of ingredients in a recipe. They are also used in scientific and engineering fields to solve complex problems and analyze data.

3. What is the purpose of finding linear combinations?

The main purpose of finding linear combinations is to express a given vector as a combination of other vectors. This can help simplify calculations and solve equations, as well as provide insight into the relationships between different vectors.

4. Can you provide an example of a linear combination?

Sure! Let's say we have two vectors, A = [2, 3, 5] and B = [4, 1, 2]. The linear combination of these vectors could be expressed as 2A + 3B = [2(2) + 3(4), 2(3) + 3(1), 2(5) + 3(2)] = [13, 9, 16]. This means that the vector [13, 9, 16] is a linear combination of A and B.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear combinations?

While linear combinations are a powerful tool in linear algebra, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only be used with vectors that have the same number of dimensions. Additionally, not all vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors, which can make solving certain problems more challenging.