How Much Force Is Needed to Tip a Loaded Cart?

• Thread starter cmcpolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart
In summary, the conversation is about determining the pulling force required to tip a sheet rock cart that weighs 79 pounds and has a load of 1200 pounds. The calculation involves finding the total torque needed to tip the cart, taking into account the distance and weight of the cart and the sheet rock. The final answer for the required force is 134 pounds, but it is noted that the calculation is sensitive to the accuracy of certain measurements. The conversation concludes with thanks for the input and a confirmation that the calculation has been corrected.
cmcpolo
Attached is a sketch of a sheet rock cart. The cart weighs 79 pounds and I have indicated the location of the centroid. The load on the cart consists of several sheets of material that weigh 1200 pounds. I am trying to determine the pulling force required (F) to tip the cart over (assuming the hinge point A doesn't slide when the cart is pulled).

A little background...I am a professional engineer and I am trying to help a client but it has been quite a while since I took physics or statics. I have arrived at an answer of 87 lbs but was hoping for a check from someone with greater knowledge.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• CCF02032010_00000.jpg
    CCF02032010_00000.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums. I get 134 pounds.

For me, it's easier to think in terms of how much torque is required to tip the cart, and then calculate the required force given its 3.07 ft height above the pivot point A.

Your drawing indicates that the cart centroid is 0.46 ft to the right of point A, so the cart contributes 0.46*79 = 36 ft-lbs to the required torque.

The horizontal distance from point A to the sheet rock's centroid is
0.66' - (2')*cos(80°) = 0.31 ft​
so the sheetrock requires a torque of 0.31*1200 = 375 ft-lbs.

The total toque required is 36+375 = 411 ft-lbs.

Given the 3.07' height of the force, a force of (411/3.07)=134 lbs is required to tip the cart.

Please make sure you follow my calculation, in particular where I calculate the location of the sheetrock's centroid.

Final note: the calculation is quite sensitive to the accuracy of the 80° figure. If it were actually 75°, the force becomes 67 lbs; for 85° it's 200 lbs.

Hope this helps.

Redbelly 98-
Thanks for taking that time to run through that calculation. After a bit more research after my post, i realized that I had incorrectly shown other forces in my sketch as they were internal forces. The correct calculation, as you have indicated, is the moment calculation with the centroids.

Thanks

1. How does the loaded cart problem relate to real-life scenarios?

The loaded cart problem is a classic physics problem that can be applied to many real-life situations, such as moving furniture or carrying heavy objects. It helps us understand the principles of force and motion, and how to optimize our efforts in handling heavy loads.

2. What are the key factors that affect the loaded cart problem?

The key factors that affect the loaded cart problem are the mass of the cart, the mass of the load, the coefficient of friction between the cart and the ground, and the angle of the incline (if any). These variables determine the amount of force needed to move the cart and the direction in which the force should be applied.

3. How can I calculate the force needed to move a loaded cart?

The force needed to move a loaded cart can be calculated using the formula F = μmg, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the cart and load, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula can be used to determine the minimum force required to overcome friction and move the cart.

4. What are some strategies for minimizing the force needed to move a loaded cart?

One strategy for minimizing the force needed to move a loaded cart is to reduce the mass of the load. This can be achieved by distributing the load evenly or making multiple trips with smaller loads. Another strategy is to decrease the coefficient of friction by using smoother surfaces or adding lubrication to the wheels of the cart.

5. How does the angle of the incline affect the loaded cart problem?

The angle of the incline plays a significant role in the loaded cart problem as it determines the direction and amount of force needed to move the cart. A steeper incline will require more force to overcome the force of gravity and friction, while a shallower incline will require less force. In some cases, an incline may even make it easier to move a loaded cart by reducing the force needed to overcome friction.