Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with magnetic pulsing

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    I have designed a magnetic pulser using a camera flash and a copper wire air core inductor wired in series with the flash. when the flash is discharged, some of the energy in the capacitor is dumped through the coil creating a moving magnetic field. My problem is im not sure how much gauss it is creating. I took it to school and used a gauss meter in the physics lab, it only read about 120 gauss, now i dont know what kind of gauss meter it was or wether it was set to the right setting. I need to create between 20,000 and 40,000 gauss. When i place a key ring in the middle of the coil and discharge the flash it launches the key ring about 5 feet into the air but I dont know if thats means anything, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    Measuring magnetic fields (especially transient ac fields) without the proper equipment) is difficult. You first need to use engineering formulas to calculate the inductance L of the air coil (see http://www.coilws.com/c_winding_main/Air Coil Inductors.pdf). Then, assuming the inductance L and the energy storage capacitor C form a relatively hi-Q (low series resistance) circuit, and all (most) of the energy stored in the capacitor flows into the inductance, use energy conservation to calculate the peak current in the coil:

(1/2) L I2 = (1/2) C V2, where L is in Henrys and C in Farads.

Finally, the peak field in the coil (long solenoid) is given by

B = 4 pi 10-7 NI where I is peak amps, N is turns per meter and B is in Tesla (1 Tesla = 10,000 Gauss).
    I hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook