Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with maple programming

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    I can't input this formula,

z=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2)

This is suppose to represent a function of surface of area with double integrals. I'm struggling inputting the codes in to evaluate the equation.
    It would be convenient if help was given

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3
    Thank you for trying to help but that won't help too much

5. Nov 21, 2015 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is unclear to me what you are trying to do mathematically, i.e. even without thinking yet about how to input it in Maple. Could you explain more?

6. Nov 21, 2015 #5
    The area of the surface with equation z

7. Nov 22, 2015 #6

Erland

Science Advisor

Don't you have any boundaries given for the surface? If not, the area is infinite and it is pointless to calculate it with Maple. If your task is written somewhere, please let ut know the exact wording.

8. Nov 23, 2015 #7
    Your suppose to find the area of the part of the surface that lies above square lxl +lyl < 1
    and draw a graph

9. Nov 23, 2015 #8

Erland

Science Advisor

10. Nov 24, 2015 #9
    It didn't help, this is the type of cal 3 problem that im referring to http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SurfaceArea.aspx.

z=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2)

I'm suppose to find the area of the part of the surface that lies above square lxl +lyl < 1
    and draw a graph

and I can't seem to find the right code to put in to solve equation

11. Nov 25, 2015 #10

Erland

Science Advisor

First, differentiate z w.r,t x and y, with Maple. Plug these partial derivatives into your formula for (the element of) surface area. Then evaluate with Maple the double integral of this over the region I suggested and multiply by 4.

12. Dec 17, 2015 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but are you just having syntax problems? For example the assignment statement should be z:=(1+x^2)/(1+y^2); Note the colon and the ending semicolon. Then the partial with respect to x would be something like zsubx := diff(z,x);

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook