Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Mathematica

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    Hi everybody.
    I have this equation

c=(m/b)(a-(F/b))exp(-btn/m)(1-exp(-bt/m))^2 where;

n=integer (1-5000)
    c=2x[(n+1)t]-x[(n+2)t]-x[nt] --- the value for x at a particular n is obtained from a graph

I have to solve for b. I have tried to solve this equation using Mathematica using the `Solve` command but there was a warning about the expression non in algebraic way.

Is there anybody out there who have any idea what function I can use in Mathematica to solve this equation? It seems easy because the only unknown is b. But I am not familiar with Mathematica so I still can`t solve it.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not entirely clear (I am not sure I understand your notation).

When Mathematica tells you that, it means that it can't find a way to express the answer in analytical form as a function of the variables you gave it. But you can always try for a numerical solution, using NSolve or similar (there's something like Root or NRoot, but I don't have mathematica handy right now).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?