1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with mathematical induction

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Hey guys I am in precalculus right now and we just started picking up mathematical induction. Our teacher assigned us a problem that I am stumped over and I tried looking all over for a clear explanation online but I can't find anything remotely helpful. The question is:

Use mathematical induction to prove A = (2 0
    0 3)^n =

(2^n 0
    0 3^n) for every positive integer n

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    These are matrices, correct? Why not just try a couple examples of n, say n = 1. Then n = 2. Then n = 3. The pattern should be clear then and you could make a more general proof.

Matrix multiplication is all you need, e.g.: [A]^2 = [A]*[A]

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you read the regulations that you agreed to abide by when you registered for this forum? You must make a valid attempt to solve the problem yourself and show your attempt here. Do you know how to multiply matrices? Do you know what "proof by induction" is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook