Need help with MCAT Physics Question

• Thread starter LeKahlua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, in order to slow a 10 kg mass in free fall with no air resistance at a rate equal to the magnitude of g, an upward force of 200 N must be applied. This is because the net force on the mass must be equal to its weight, or 100 N upwards, in order to give it an acceleration of g upwards. This additional 100 N of force upwards is required to slow the mass down, resulting in a net force of 200 N upwards.
LeKahlua
Mcat Physics Question: A 10 kg. mass is in free fall with no air resistance. In order to slow the mass at a rate equal to the magnitude of g, an upward force must be applied with magnitude:
0 N, 10 N, 100 N, or 200 N.

I solved if F=mg then F=10*10 or 100 N downward force. Therefore an upward force of 100 N resistance would be required. Why is the answer 200 N? Answer book says you want a net force of mg=100 N upwards but I'm not sure why 200 N upward is equal to a magnitude of g, which is only 100 N downward. What am I missing here?

Leigh

Physics news on Phys.org
To "slow the mass at a rate equal to the magnitude of g" means you need to make the acceleration of the mass g upwards. So what must be the net force on the mass to give it such an acceleration?

(If you did nothing, and let gravity do its thing, the mass would have an acceleration of g downward. If you applied an upward force equal to its weight, the net force would be what? And the net acceleration would be what?)

Hmmm...so if I apply 100 N of force upward, then F=0 and if F=ma then acceleration also equals 0. So now...the velocity is constant, but not slowed down. So to slow it down so that a=10 (equal to the magnitude of gravity) I need to apply an additional 100 N of force upward, requiring 200N. If this is the correct line of reasoning then thank you so much for your assistance.

Leigh :)

Last edited:
Exactly right.

1. How can I improve my understanding of MCAT Physics concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of MCAT Physics is to practice solving different types of problems. This will help you identify areas where you may need more review and also familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the MCAT Physics section. Additionally, utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups can also be helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. What are the most important topics to focus on for the MCAT Physics section?

The MCAT Physics section covers a wide range of topics, but some of the most important ones to focus on include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. These topics are fundamental to understanding many of the concepts tested on the MCAT and are frequently seen in practice questions and exams.

3. How should I approach difficult MCAT Physics questions?

When faced with a difficult MCAT Physics question, it is important to first read through the question carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Next, try to break down the question into smaller, more manageable parts. If you are still unsure, try eliminating answer choices that you know are incorrect and then make an educated guess. Remember to always use the information given in the question and avoid making assumptions.

4. How much time should I spend studying for MCAT Physics?

The amount of time you should spend studying for MCAT Physics will vary depending on your individual strengths and weaknesses, as well as your overall study plan. However, it is generally recommended to spend a significant amount of time reviewing MCAT Physics topics and practicing problems. This could range from a few weeks to several months, depending on your level of familiarity with the material.

5. Are there any tips for managing time during the MCAT Physics section?

Managing time during the MCAT Physics section can be challenging, as it is important to not only read and answer the questions accurately, but also to do so within the allotted time. One tip is to practice timing yourself while completing practice questions and exams to get a sense of how much time you have for each question. Additionally, it can be helpful to prioritize questions that you feel more confident about first, and then return to more challenging questions if time allows.